LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>
To: kristen.c.accardi@intel.com
Cc: ltuikov@yahoo.com, linux-scsi <linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-ide <linux-ide@vger.kernel.org>,
	jeff@garzik.org
Subject: Re: [PATCH] enclosure: add support for enclosure services
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:28:15 -0600	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <1202844495.3137.120.camel@localhost.localdomain> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <20080212110752.21840627@appleyard>

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 11:07 -0800, Kristen Carlson Accardi wrote:
> I understand what you are trying to do - I guess I just doubt the value
> you've added by doing this.  I think that there's going to be so much
> customization that system vendors will want to add, that they are going
> to wind up adding a custom library regardless, so standardising those
> few things won't buy us anything.

It depends ... if you actually have a use for the customisations, yes.
If you just want the basics of who (what's in the enclousure), what
(activity) and where (locate) then I think it solves your problem almost
entirely.

So, entirely as a straw horse, tell me what else your enclosures provide
that I haven't listed in the four points.  The SES standards too provide
a huge range of things that no-one ever seems to implement (temperature,
power, fan speeds etc).

I think the users of enclosures fall int these categories

85% just want to know where their device actually is (i.e. that sdc is
in enclosure slot 5)
50% like watching the activity lights
30% want to be able to have a visual locate function
20% want a visual failure indication (the other 80% rely on some OS
notification instead)

When you add up the overlapping needs, you get about 90% of people happy
with the basics that the enclosure services provide.  Could there be
more ... sure; should there be more ... I don't think so ... that's what
value add the user libraries can provide.

James



  reply	other threads:[~2008-02-12 19:28 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 31+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2008-02-03 21:40 James Bottomley
2008-02-03 22:03 ` Sam Ravnborg
2008-02-04  0:16   ` James Bottomley
2008-02-06  0:12     ` Andrew Morton
2008-02-06  2:57       ` James Bottomley
2008-02-05  0:32 ` Luben Tuikov
2008-02-05  0:41   ` James Bottomley
2008-02-05  2:01     ` Luben Tuikov
2008-02-05  2:14       ` James Bottomley
2008-02-05  3:28         ` Luben Tuikov
2008-02-05  4:37           ` James Bottomley
2008-02-05  5:35             ` Luben Tuikov
2008-02-05 15:01               ` James Bottomley
2008-02-05 19:33                 ` Luben Tuikov
2008-02-05 20:29                   ` James Bottomley
2008-02-05 20:39                     ` Luben Tuikov
2008-02-12 18:22       ` Kristen Carlson Accardi
2008-02-12 18:45         ` James Bottomley
2008-02-12 19:07           ` Kristen Carlson Accardi
2008-02-12 19:28             ` James Bottomley [this message]
2008-02-13 17:45               ` Kristen Carlson Accardi
2008-02-13 18:17                 ` James Bottomley
2008-02-16 12:44                 ` Pavel Machek
2008-02-13  9:48           ` Luben Tuikov
2008-02-13 14:08             ` James Smart
2008-02-13 16:04               ` James Bottomley
2008-02-13 16:22                 ` James Smart
2008-02-13 16:43                   ` James Bottomley
2008-02-13 16:49                     ` James Smart
2008-02-12 19:45         ` Luben Tuikov
2008-02-13 11:15 Luben Tuikov

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=1202844495.3137.120.camel@localhost.localdomain \
    --to=james.bottomley@hansenpartnership.com \
    --cc=jeff@garzik.org \
    --cc=kristen.c.accardi@intel.com \
    --cc=linux-ide@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=ltuikov@yahoo.com \
    --subject='Re: [PATCH] enclosure: add support for enclosure services' \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).