LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [PATCH] RTC: Remove the BKL.
@ 2008-10-17 6:03 David John
0 siblings, 0 replies; only message in thread
From: David John @ 2008-10-17 6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: mingo; +Cc: alan, linux-kernel, tglx, a.zummo, rtc-linux
Remove calls to the BKL since concurrent access is protected
by the spin lock rtc_lock.
Signed-off-by: David John <email@example.com>
drivers/char/rtc.c | 17 ++++-------------
1 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)
diff --git a/drivers/char/rtc.c b/drivers/char/rtc.c
index f53d4d0..05b9d3c 100644
@@ -48,9 +48,10 @@
* 1.12a Maciej W. Rozycki: Handle memory-mapped chips properly.
* 1.12ac Alan Cox: Allow read access to the day of week register
+ * 1.12b David John: Remove calls to the BKL.
-#define RTC_VERSION "1.12ac"
+#define RTC_VERSION "1.12b"
* Note that *all* calls to CMOS_READ and CMOS_WRITE are done with
@@ -73,7 +74,6 @@
@@ -182,8 +182,8 @@ static int rtc_proc_open(struct inode *inode, struct file *file);
* rtc_status is never changed by rtc_interrupt, and ioctl/open/close is
- * protected by the big kernel lock. However, ioctl can still disable the timer
- * in rtc_status and then with del_timer after the interrupt has read
+ * protected by the spin lock rtc_lock. However, ioctl can still disable the
+ * timer in rtc_status and then with del_timer after the interrupt has read
* rtc_status but before mod_timer is called, which would then reenable the
* timer (but you would need to have an awful timing before you'd trip on it)
@@ -720,9 +720,7 @@ static int rtc_do_ioctl(unsigned int cmd, unsigned long arg, int kernel)
static long rtc_ioctl(struct file *file, unsigned int cmd, unsigned long arg)
ret = rtc_do_ioctl(cmd, arg, 0);
@@ -731,12 +729,8 @@ static long rtc_ioctl(struct file *file, unsigned int cmd, unsigned long arg)
* Also clear the previous interrupt data on an open, and clean
* up things on a close.
-/* We use rtc_lock to protect against concurrent opens. So the BKL is not
- * needed here. Or anywhere else in this driver. */
static int rtc_open(struct inode *inode, struct file *file)
if (rtc_status & RTC_IS_OPEN)
@@ -746,12 +740,10 @@ static int rtc_open(struct inode *inode, struct file *file)
rtc_irq_data = 0;
@@ -802,7 +794,6 @@ no_irq:
-/* Called without the kernel lock - fine */
static unsigned int rtc_poll(struct file *file, poll_table *wait)
unsigned long l;
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] only message in thread
only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-10-17 6:04 UTC | newest]
Thread overview: (only message) (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2008-10-17 6:03 [PATCH] RTC: Remove the BKL David John
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).