LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* 2.4.11.p4 and dd
@ 2001-10-07 18:35 Klaus Dittrich
  2001-10-08 11:45 ` Tobias Ringstrom
  2001-10-08 12:04 ` Stephan von Krawczynski
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Klaus Dittrich @ 2001-10-07 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux mailing-list

dd does not work anymore.

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1024k 

stops with "File size limit exceeded"

Using kernel 2.4.3 the same command works fine.

2.4.3 uses a large amount of buffer, 2.4.11p4 only chache.
2.4.3 doesn't swap, 2.4.11p4 eats up 1 GB RAM and 100 MB swap.

-- 
Best regards 
Klaus Dittrich

e-mail: kladit@t-online.de

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.4.11.p4 and dd
  2001-10-07 18:35 2.4.11.p4 and dd Klaus Dittrich
@ 2001-10-08 11:45 ` Tobias Ringstrom
  2001-10-09  7:03   ` Constantin Loizides
  2001-10-08 12:04 ` Stephan von Krawczynski
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Tobias Ringstrom @ 2001-10-08 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Dittrich; +Cc: linux mailing-list

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Klaus Dittrich wrote:

> 2.4.3 uses a large amount of buffer, 2.4.11p4 only chache.

Block devices are handled by the page cache in 2.4.10 and up.

> 2.4.3 doesn't swap, 2.4.11p4 eats up 1 GB RAM and 100 MB swap.

This is a bug in pre4.  Please try pre5 instead!

/Tobias


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.4.11.p4 and dd
  2001-10-07 18:35 2.4.11.p4 and dd Klaus Dittrich
  2001-10-08 11:45 ` Tobias Ringstrom
@ 2001-10-08 12:04 ` Stephan von Krawczynski
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Stephan von Krawczynski @ 2001-10-08 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Dittrich; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 20:35:40 +0200 kladit@t-online.de (Klaus Dittrich) wrote:

> dd does not work anymore.
> 
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1024k 
> 
> stops with "File size limit exceeded"
> 
> Using kernel 2.4.3 the same command works fine.
> 
> 2.4.3 uses a large amount of buffer, 2.4.11p4 only chache.
> 2.4.3 doesn't swap, 2.4.11p4 eats up 1 GB RAM and 100 MB swap.

Please try 2.4.11-pre5.
pre4 is seriously broken regarding high vm loads.

Regards,
Stephan


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.4.11.p4 and dd
  2001-10-08 11:45 ` Tobias Ringstrom
@ 2001-10-09  7:03   ` Constantin Loizides
  2001-10-09 20:55     ` Mike Fedyk
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Constantin Loizides @ 2001-10-09  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Ringstrom; +Cc: kernel-list

Hi!

> > 2.4.3 uses a large amount of buffer, 2.4.11p4 only chache.
> 
> Block devices are handled by the page cache in 2.4.10 and up.
> 

Eh, did I miss something? Thought, that meta data are still
cached in buffer cache? Did it change from 2.4.9 to 2.4.10?
What about the ac kernels? 

Constantin

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.4.11.p4 and dd
  2001-10-09  7:03   ` Constantin Loizides
@ 2001-10-09 20:55     ` Mike Fedyk
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Mike Fedyk @ 2001-10-09 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-list

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 09:03:12AM +0200, Constantin Loizides wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> > > 2.4.3 uses a large amount of buffer, 2.4.11p4 only chache.
> > 
> > Block devices are handled by the page cache in 2.4.10 and up.
> > 
> 
> Eh, did I miss something? 

Yes.

>Thought, that meta data are still
> cached in buffer cache?

FSes still use the buffer cache, but the block devices now use page cache.

>Did it change from 2.4.9 to 2.4.10?

Yes, in 2.4.10pre11

> What about the ac kernels? 
>

Block devices use Buffer Cache.  Alan has stated that he doesn't plan to
merge this change any time soon, if at all.

> Constantin

Mike

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2001-10-09 20:55 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2001-10-07 18:35 2.4.11.p4 and dd Klaus Dittrich
2001-10-08 11:45 ` Tobias Ringstrom
2001-10-09  7:03   ` Constantin Loizides
2001-10-09 20:55     ` Mike Fedyk
2001-10-08 12:04 ` Stephan von Krawczynski

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).