LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot
@ 2007-01-05 13:19 Jiri Kosina
  2007-01-05 14:33 ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
                   ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Jiri Kosina @ 2007-01-05 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristen Carlson Accardi, Len Brown, Andrew Morton
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-kernel

Hi,

2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot on my IBM T42p when compiled with ACPI_BAY=y. 
Below is the trace of two BUGs I get.

When compiled with ACPI_BAY=n, it boots fine.

The traces are hand-rewritten (no serial console on that machine), so I 
have omitted the code offsets in the stacktraces.

ACPI: ACPI Dock Station Driver
ACPI: \_SB_PCI0.IDE0.SCND.MSTR: found ejectable bay
ACPI: \_SB_PCI0.IDE0.SCND.MSTR: Adding notify handler
PM: Adding info for platform:bay.0
ACPI: Bay [\_SB_.PCI0.IDE0.SCND.MSTR] Added
BUG: at lib/kref.c:32 kref_get()
	kref_get+0x34/0x3b
	kobject_get+0xf/0x13
	get_bus+0xe/0x1d
	bus_add_driver+0x13/0x165
	init_waitqueue_head+0x12/0x1e
	bay_init+0x57/0x79
	find_bay+0x0/0x2c4
	init+0x88/0x16d
	restore_nocheck+0x12/0x15
	init+0x0/0x16d
	init+0x0/0x16d
	kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10
	==========
BUG: at lib/kref.c:32 kref_get()
	kref_get+0x34/0x3b
	kobject_get+0xf/0x13
	kobject_init+0x5d/0x70
	kobject_set_name+0x5c/0x92
	bus_add_driver+0x50/0x79
	bay_init+0x57/0x79
	find_bay+0x0/0x2c4
	init+0x88/0x16d
	init+0x88/0x16d
	kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10
	=========

-- 
Jiri Kosina

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot
  2007-01-05 13:19 ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot Jiri Kosina
@ 2007-01-05 14:33 ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
  2007-01-05 15:13   ` Jiri Kosina
  2007-01-06  7:55 ` Pavel Machek
  2007-01-08 21:07 ` Kristen Carlson Accardi
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2007-01-05 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Kosina
  Cc: Kristen Carlson Accardi, Len Brown, Andrew Morton, linux-acpi,
	linux-kernel

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot on my IBM T42p when compiled with ACPI_BAY=y. 

I trust you have ACPI_IBM_BAY=n to use ACPI_BAY=y ?  I don't think it has
anything to do with the issue you have, but just in case...

-- 
  "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
  them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
  where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
  Henrique Holschuh

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot
  2007-01-05 14:33 ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
@ 2007-01-05 15:13   ` Jiri Kosina
  2007-01-05 15:51     ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Jiri Kosina @ 2007-01-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
  Cc: Kristen Carlson Accardi, Len Brown, Andrew Morton, linux-acpi,
	linux-kernel

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot on my IBM T42p when compiled with ACPI_BAY=y. 
> I trust you have ACPI_IBM_BAY=n to use ACPI_BAY=y ?  I don't think it has
> anything to do with the issue you have, but just in case...

The kernel hangs with CONFIG_ACPI_BAY, with CONFIG_ACPI_IBM_BAY it works 
just fine.

-- 
Jiri Kosina

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot
  2007-01-05 15:13   ` Jiri Kosina
@ 2007-01-05 15:51     ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
  2007-01-05 15:55       ` Jiri Kosina
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2007-01-05 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Kosina
  Cc: Kristen Carlson Accardi, Len Brown, Andrew Morton, linux-acpi,
	linux-kernel

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot on my IBM T42p when compiled with ACPI_BAY=y. 
> > I trust you have ACPI_IBM_BAY=n to use ACPI_BAY=y ?  I don't think it has
> > anything to do with the issue you have, but just in case...
> 
> The kernel hangs with CONFIG_ACPI_BAY, with CONFIG_ACPI_IBM_BAY it works 
> just fine.

I mean don't do it with both CONFIG_ACPI_BAY and CONFIG_ACPI_IBM_BAY set to
y (i.e. loaded at the same time).

-- 
  "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
  them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
  where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
  Henrique Holschuh

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot
  2007-01-05 15:51     ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
@ 2007-01-05 15:55       ` Jiri Kosina
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Jiri Kosina @ 2007-01-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
  Cc: Kristen Carlson Accardi, Len Brown, Andrew Morton, linux-acpi,
	linux-kernel

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > > I trust you have ACPI_IBM_BAY=n to use ACPI_BAY=y ?  I don't think it has
> > > anything to do with the issue you have, but just in case...
> > The kernel hangs with CONFIG_ACPI_BAY, with CONFIG_ACPI_IBM_BAY it works 
> > just fine.
> I mean don't do it with both CONFIG_ACPI_BAY and CONFIG_ACPI_IBM_BAY set to
> y (i.e. loaded at the same time).

Kconfig doesn't allow this, so that's not a problem.

config ACPI_IBM_BAY
        bool "Legacy Removable Bay Support"
        depends on ACPI_IBM
        depends on ACPI_BAY=n

-- 
Jiri Kosina

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot
  2007-01-05 13:19 ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot Jiri Kosina
  2007-01-05 14:33 ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
@ 2007-01-06  7:55 ` Pavel Machek
  2007-01-08 21:07 ` Kristen Carlson Accardi
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Pavel Machek @ 2007-01-06  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Kosina
  Cc: Kristen Carlson Accardi, Len Brown, Andrew Morton, linux-acpi,
	linux-kernel

On Fri 2007-01-05 14:19:41, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot on my IBM T42p when compiled with ACPI_BAY=y. 
> Below is the trace of two BUGs I get.
> 
> When compiled with ACPI_BAY=n, it boots fine.

ACPI people usually prefer entries in bugzilla.kernel.org, try that if
you don't get a timely reply.

-- 
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot
  2007-01-05 13:19 ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot Jiri Kosina
  2007-01-05 14:33 ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
  2007-01-06  7:55 ` Pavel Machek
@ 2007-01-08 21:07 ` Kristen Carlson Accardi
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Kristen Carlson Accardi @ 2007-01-08 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Kosina; +Cc: Len Brown, Andrew Morton, linux-acpi, linux-kernel

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:19:41 +0100 (CET)
Jiri Kosina <jikos@jikos.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot on my IBM T42p when compiled with ACPI_BAY=y. 
> Below is the trace of two BUGs I get.

Hi,
I was able to duplicate this problem - it only occurs when the bay
driver is built-in, not when the bay driver is compiled as a module.
While I work on the fix for the problem, you can as a temporary workaround
just use ACPI_BAY=m.  By the way, I also found that the bay driver will
not build at all if ACPI_DOCK=n.  Oops.  I will fix that too.

thanks,
Kristen


> 
> When compiled with ACPI_BAY=n, it boots fine.
> 
> The traces are hand-rewritten (no serial console on that machine), so I 
> have omitted the code offsets in the stacktraces.
> 
> ACPI: ACPI Dock Station Driver
> ACPI: \_SB_PCI0.IDE0.SCND.MSTR: found ejectable bay
> ACPI: \_SB_PCI0.IDE0.SCND.MSTR: Adding notify handler
> PM: Adding info for platform:bay.0
> ACPI: Bay [\_SB_.PCI0.IDE0.SCND.MSTR] Added
> BUG: at lib/kref.c:32 kref_get()
> 	kref_get+0x34/0x3b
> 	kobject_get+0xf/0x13
> 	get_bus+0xe/0x1d
> 	bus_add_driver+0x13/0x165
> 	init_waitqueue_head+0x12/0x1e
> 	bay_init+0x57/0x79
> 	find_bay+0x0/0x2c4
> 	init+0x88/0x16d
> 	restore_nocheck+0x12/0x15
> 	init+0x0/0x16d
> 	init+0x0/0x16d
> 	kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10
> 	==========
> BUG: at lib/kref.c:32 kref_get()
> 	kref_get+0x34/0x3b
> 	kobject_get+0xf/0x13
> 	kobject_init+0x5d/0x70
> 	kobject_set_name+0x5c/0x92
> 	bus_add_driver+0x50/0x79
> 	bay_init+0x57/0x79
> 	find_bay+0x0/0x2c4
> 	init+0x88/0x16d
> 	init+0x88/0x16d
> 	kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10
> 	=========
> 
> -- 
> Jiri Kosina
> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2007-01-08 21:07 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2007-01-05 13:19 ACPI bay - 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 hangs on boot Jiri Kosina
2007-01-05 14:33 ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
2007-01-05 15:13   ` Jiri Kosina
2007-01-05 15:51     ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
2007-01-05 15:55       ` Jiri Kosina
2007-01-06  7:55 ` Pavel Machek
2007-01-08 21:07 ` Kristen Carlson Accardi

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).