LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{,6} device initialization order."
@ 2007-01-15  3:23 Daniel Drake
  2007-01-15  3:47 ` David Stevens
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Daniel Drake @ 2007-01-15  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dlstevens; +Cc: davem, linux-kernel, stable

Hi,

The patch titled "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{,6} device initialization order" 
shipped in 2.6.19.2 appears to be the cause of this regression:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=161907

Is this a known issue? Should this patch be dropped from -stable?

Thanks,
Daniel

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{,6} device initialization order."
  2007-01-15  3:23 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{,6} device initialization order." Daniel Drake
@ 2007-01-15  3:47 ` David Stevens
  2007-01-15  5:30   ` David Miller
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: David Stevens @ 2007-01-15  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Drake; +Cc: davem, linux-kernel, stable

I expect this is the failure to join the all-nodes multicast group,
in which case the fix has already been posted to netdev. I
believe the router advertisements are sent to that, and if the
join failed, it wouldn't receive any of them.

I think it's better to add the fix than withdraw this patch, since
the original bug is a crash.

Details:
The IPv6 code passes the "dev" entry to the multicast group
incrementer and uses it to dereference to get the in6_dev.
IPv4, by contrast, passes the in_dev directly to its equivalent
functions.

IPv6 joins the required "all-nodes" multicast group in the
multicast device initialization function, which due to the fix
won't have a dev entry at that time. The patch posted by
Yoshifuji Hideaki moves the all-nodes join until after the
ip6_ptr is added to the dev.

                                        +-DLS


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{,6} device initialization order."
  2007-01-15  3:47 ` David Stevens
@ 2007-01-15  5:30   ` David Miller
  2007-01-15  7:25     ` [stable] 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{, 6} " Greg KH
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: David Miller @ 2007-01-15  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dlstevens; +Cc: dsd, linux-kernel, stable

From: David Stevens <dlstevens@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:47:49 -0800

> I think it's better to add the fix than withdraw this patch, since
> the original bug is a crash.

I completely agree.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [stable] 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{, 6} device initialization order."
  2007-01-15  5:30   ` David Miller
@ 2007-01-15  7:25     ` Greg KH
  2007-01-16  2:01       ` Gabriel C
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Greg KH @ 2007-01-15  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: dlstevens, dsd, linux-kernel, stable

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 09:30:08PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: David Stevens <dlstevens@us.ibm.com>
> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:47:49 -0800
> 
> > I think it's better to add the fix than withdraw this patch, since
> > the original bug is a crash.
> 
> I completely agree.

Great, can someone forward the patch to us?

thanks,

greg k-h

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [stable] 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{, 6} device initialization order."
  2007-01-15  7:25     ` [stable] 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{, 6} " Greg KH
@ 2007-01-16  2:01       ` Gabriel C
  2007-01-16  2:06         ` YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Gabriel C @ 2007-01-16  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: David Miller, dlstevens, dsd, linux-kernel, stable

Greg KH schrieb:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 09:30:08PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
>   
>> From: David Stevens <dlstevens@us.ibm.com>
>> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:47:49 -0800
>>
>>     
>>> I think it's better to add the fix than withdraw this patch, since
>>> the original bug is a crash.
>>>       
>> I completely agree.
>>     
>
> Great, can someone forward the patch to us?
>   

Should be the fix from http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7817

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h
>   

Regards,

Gabriel


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [stable] 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{, 6} device initialization order."
  2007-01-16  2:01       ` Gabriel C
@ 2007-01-16  2:06         ` YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明
  2007-01-16  2:56           ` David Miller
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明 @ 2007-01-16  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nix.or.die, greg, stable; +Cc: davem, dlstevens, dsd, linux-kernel, yoshfuji

In article <45AC3214.4080800@googlemail.com> (at Tue, 16 Jan 2007 03:01:56 +0100), Gabriel C <nix.or.die@googlemail.com> says:

> Greg KH schrieb:
> > On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 09:30:08PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> >   
> >> From: David Stevens <dlstevens@us.ibm.com>
> >> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:47:49 -0800
> >>
> >>     
> >>> I think it's better to add the fix than withdraw this patch, since
> >>> the original bug is a crash.
> >>>       
> >> I completely agree.
> >>     
> >
> > Great, can someone forward the patch to us?
> >   
> 
> Should be the fix from http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7817

I've resent the patch to <stable@kernel.org>.

--yoshfuji

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [stable] 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{, 6} device initialization order."
  2007-01-16  2:06         ` YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明
@ 2007-01-16  2:56           ` David Miller
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: David Miller @ 2007-01-16  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yoshfuji; +Cc: nix.or.die, greg, stable, dlstevens, dsd, linux-kernel

From: YOSHIFUJI Hideaki <yoshfuji@linux-ipv6.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:06:30 +0900 (JST)

> In article <45AC3214.4080800@googlemail.com> (at Tue, 16 Jan 2007 03:01:56 +0100), Gabriel C <nix.or.die@googlemail.com> says:
> 
> > Should be the fix from http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7817
> 
> I've resent the patch to <stable@kernel.org>.

Thank you.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2007-01-16  2:56 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2007-01-15  3:23 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{,6} device initialization order." Daniel Drake
2007-01-15  3:47 ` David Stevens
2007-01-15  5:30   ` David Miller
2007-01-15  7:25     ` [stable] 2.6.19.2 regression introduced by "IPV4/IPV6: Fix inet{, 6} " Greg KH
2007-01-16  2:01       ` Gabriel C
2007-01-16  2:06         ` YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明
2007-01-16  2:56           ` David Miller

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).