LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
@ 2007-01-28  1:36 Rob Landley
  2007-01-28  5:34 ` Andrew Morton
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Rob Landley @ 2007-01-28  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I would like to find the history of linux-kernel in mbox format.  I thought it 
was under http://kernel.org/pub but apparently not.

Rooting around at http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-kernel points 
to a bunch of stale links.  (The alaska archive is gone, the helsinki one 
stopped in 2004, the indiana one mbox link is 404...)

The linux-kernel faq's archives entry points to web archives, where I can look 
up one post at a time.  I could do that through google groups.  I used to be 
able to see "month at a time" indexes at lists.insecure.org, but that took 
its' linux-kernel archive down last year.

I found Zach Brown asking for them and getting them anonymously sent to him, 
but no download link and one reason I want them is Kernel Traffic stopped 
updating in 2005 and I've fallen behind on the list again.

This link:
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/2005-February/019865.html

Suggests that mbox files may be found on lkml.org, which doesn't seem to be 
true (not on their current main page, nor archive.org, nor any browsing 
around I've managed to do...)

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Google is being unhelpful...

Rob
-- 
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
  2007-01-28  1:36 The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone Rob Landley
@ 2007-01-28  5:34 ` Andrew Morton
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Andrew Morton @ 2007-01-28  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:36:31 -0500
Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> wrote:

> I would like to find the history of linux-kernel in mbox format.  I thought it 
> was under http://kernel.org/pub but apparently not.
> 
> Rooting around at http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-kernel points 
> to a bunch of stale links.  (The alaska archive is gone, the helsinki one 
> stopped in 2004, the indiana one mbox link is 404...)
> 
> The linux-kernel faq's archives entry points to web archives, where I can look 
> up one post at a time.  I could do that through google groups.  I used to be 
> able to see "month at a time" indexes at lists.insecure.org, but that took 
> its' linux-kernel archive down last year.
> 
> I found Zach Brown asking for them and getting them anonymously sent to him, 
> but no download link and one reason I want them is Kernel Traffic stopped 
> updating in 2005 and I've fallen behind on the list again.
> 
> This link:
> http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/2005-February/019865.html
> 
> Suggests that mbox files may be found on lkml.org, which doesn't seem to be 
> true (not on their current main page, nor archive.org, nor any browsing 
> around I've managed to do...)
> 
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  Google is being unhelpful...

I have them going back to October 2000.  I guess I can upload them
after various bandwidth-using offspring have finished playing counterstrike
and WoW.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
  2007-01-29  5:59                 ` Rob Landley
@ 2007-01-29  6:28                   ` Dave Jones
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Dave Jones @ 2007-01-29  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: Oleg Verych, Andrew Morton, Dirk Behme, LKML

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 12:59:27AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
 > On Sunday 28 January 2007 8:52 pm, Oleg Verych wrote:
 > > On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:17:06PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
 > > > On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:46:32 +0000
 > > > Oleg Verych <olecom@flower.upol.cz> wrote:
 > > > 
 > > > > If somebody will get lkml mbox archive, can you import it into gmane,
 > > > > please.
 > > > 
 > > > http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/lkml-mbox-archives/
 > > 
 > > I think, whole set, possibly from most active start years, say 1993, 1994
 > > or so, must be collected, then i can contact Lars to try to import all
 > > this into Gmane with current web links being preserved.
 > > 
 > > BTW, donwloading (big) sets of archives _from_ Gmane is strongly
 > > discouraged.
 > 
 > The very early archives are available on the web:
 > http://www.kclug.org/old_archives/linux-activists/
 > 
 > And I'm under the impression that Alan Cox once collected a complete set of 
 > mbox archives, but this is a vague an unfocused recollection of something 
 > going by years ago.  (I also thought the result was downloadable under 
 > kernel.org/pub somewhere.  This would not appear to be the case.)

ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/history/funet-archive/
ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/alan/Kernel/Documents/Old-Funet-Lists
has some of the really early stuff.

Until recently I had a bunch of mid 90s to early 2000's in mboxes too,
but a disk accident seems to have eaten the only copies I had.

		Dave

-- 
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
  2007-01-29  1:52               ` Oleg Verych
@ 2007-01-29  5:59                 ` Rob Landley
  2007-01-29  6:28                   ` Dave Jones
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Rob Landley @ 2007-01-29  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Verych; +Cc: Andrew Morton, Dirk Behme, LKML

On Sunday 28 January 2007 8:52 pm, Oleg Verych wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:17:06PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:46:32 +0000
> > Oleg Verych <olecom@flower.upol.cz> wrote:
> > 
> > > If somebody will get lkml mbox archive, can you import it into gmane,
> > > please.
> > 
> > http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/lkml-mbox-archives/
> 
> I think, whole set, possibly from most active start years, say 1993, 1994
> or so, must be collected, then i can contact Lars to try to import all
> this into Gmane with current web links being preserved.
> 
> BTW, donwloading (big) sets of archives _from_ Gmane is strongly
> discouraged.

The very early archives are available on the web:
http://www.kclug.org/old_archives/linux-activists/

And I'm under the impression that Alan Cox once collected a complete set of 
mbox archives, but this is a vague an unfocused recollection of something 
going by years ago.  (I also thought the result was downloadable under 
kernel.org/pub somewhere.  This would not appear to be the case.)

Rob
-- 
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
       [not found]             ` <20070128151706.8d2d1841.akpm@osdl.org>
@ 2007-01-29  1:52               ` Oleg Verych
  2007-01-29  5:59                 ` Rob Landley
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Oleg Verych @ 2007-01-29  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Andrey Borzenkov, Dirk Behme, Rob Landley, LKML

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:17:06PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:46:32 +0000
> Oleg Verych <olecom@flower.upol.cz> wrote:
> 
> > If somebody will get lkml mbox archive, can you import it into gmane,
> > please.
> 
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/lkml-mbox-archives/

I think, whole set, possibly from most active start years, say 1993, 1994
or so, must be collected, then i can contact Lars to try to import all
this into Gmane with current web links being preserved.

BTW, donwloading (big) sets of archives _from_ Gmane is strongly
discouraged.

____

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
  2007-01-28 17:24         ` Andrey Borzenkov
@ 2007-01-28 22:37           ` Oleg Verych
       [not found]             ` <20070128151706.8d2d1841.akpm@osdl.org>
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Oleg Verych @ 2007-01-28 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> Path: news.gmane.org!not-for-mail
> From: Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@mail.ru>
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
> Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:24:43 +0300

Hallo.

> Benny Amorsen wrote:
>
>>>>>>> "DK" == Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
>> 
>> DK> On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 10:17 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>>>>  Perhaps nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel can help, even if
>>>> it isn't exactly what you asked for.
>> 
>> DK> I like to read the mailing list this way, but it's not a good
>> DK> method if you want to reply to an email. You're email was only
>> DK> sent to the list and not to the Dirk, who you were replying to.
>> 
>> True. There has been a few flame wars over whether it is good
>> netiquette to send both to the list and to the person though -- and
>> some newsreaders can be told to send courtesy copies by email.
>> 
>
> It is not newgroup, it is lkml where keeping Cc list is standard. Answering
> via gmane unfortunately completely trims Cc list, keeping at most sender
> and list but not recipients of message. May be other newsreaders behave
> better (using Knode)

Yes. LKML is a list, list with heavy load. For better tracking of
threads, MUA maybe better, sometimes.

Problem with Cc list isn't problem, actually:
<http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html>

("Reply-To" is forbidden by vger)

If this will be adopted by all Mail/News UAs, it will be OK.

As for my slrn, it lets me to edit whole message, i.e. incuding
headers, so until i will implement something in the sources, i can
copy "MAil-Followup-To" by hands ;D

If somebody will get lkml mbox archive, can you import it into gmane,
please.

> -andrey
>
____


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
  2007-01-28 16:59       ` Benny Amorsen
@ 2007-01-28 17:24         ` Andrey Borzenkov
  2007-01-28 22:37           ` Oleg Verych
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Andrey Borzenkov @ 2007-01-28 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benny Amorsen, linux-kernel

Benny Amorsen wrote:

>>>>>> "DK" == Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
> 
> DK> On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 10:17 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>>>  Perhaps nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel can help, even if
>>> it isn't exactly what you asked for.
> 
> DK> I like to read the mailing list this way, but it's not a good
> DK> method if you want to reply to an email. You're email was only
> DK> sent to the list and not to the Dirk, who you were replying to.
> 
> True. There has been a few flame wars over whether it is good
> netiquette to send both to the list and to the person though -- and
> some newsreaders can be told to send courtesy copies by email.
> 


It is not newgroup, it is lkml where keeping Cc list is standard. Answering
via gmane unfortunately completely trims Cc list, keeping at most sender
and list but not recipients of message. May be other newsreaders behave
better (using Knode)

-andrey


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
  2007-01-28 16:30     ` Dave Kleikamp
@ 2007-01-28 16:59       ` Benny Amorsen
  2007-01-28 17:24         ` Andrey Borzenkov
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Benny Amorsen @ 2007-01-28 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

>>>>> "DK" == Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

DK> On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 10:17 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>>  Perhaps nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel can help, even if
>> it isn't exactly what you asked for.

DK> I like to read the mailing list this way, but it's not a good
DK> method if you want to reply to an email. You're email was only
DK> sent to the list and not to the Dirk, who you were replying to.

True. There has been a few flame wars over whether it is good
netiquette to send both to the list and to the person though -- and
some newsreaders can be told to send courtesy copies by email.


/Benny



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
  2007-01-28  9:17   ` Benny Amorsen
@ 2007-01-28 16:30     ` Dave Kleikamp
  2007-01-28 16:59       ` Benny Amorsen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Dave Kleikamp @ 2007-01-28 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benny Amorsen; +Cc: linux-kernel, Dirk Behme, Rob Landley, Andrew Morton

On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 10:17 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> >>>>> "DB" == Dirk Behme <dirk.behme@googlemail.com> writes:
> 
> DB> Any chance to have anything like an auto-update mbox archive of
> DB> LKML? Would be nice for people not permanently subscribed to LKML.
> 
> Perhaps nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel can help, even if it
> isn't exactly what you asked for.

I like to read the mailing list this way, but it's not a good method if
you want to reply to an email.  You're email was only sent to the list
and not to the Dirk, who you were replying to.

Shaggy
-- 
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
  2007-01-28  7:52 ` Dirk Behme
@ 2007-01-28  9:17   ` Benny Amorsen
  2007-01-28 16:30     ` Dave Kleikamp
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Benny Amorsen @ 2007-01-28  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

>>>>> "DB" == Dirk Behme <dirk.behme@googlemail.com> writes:

DB> Any chance to have anything like an auto-update mbox archive of
DB> LKML? Would be nice for people not permanently subscribed to LKML.

Perhaps nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel can help, even if it
isn't exactly what you asked for.


/Benny



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.
       [not found] <45BC54D3.2010706@lycosxxl.de>
@ 2007-01-28  7:52 ` Dirk Behme
  2007-01-28  9:17   ` Benny Amorsen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Dirk Behme @ 2007-01-28  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Linux kernel mailing list

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:36:31 -0500
> Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 
>  > I would like to find the history of linux-kernel in mbox format. 
...
> I have them going back to October 2000. I guess I can upload them
> after various bandwidth-using offspring have finished playing counterstrike
> and WoW.

Any chance to have anything like an auto-update mbox archive 
of LKML? Would be nice for people not permanently subscribed 
to LKML.

Regards

Dirk

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2007-01-29  6:29 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 11+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2007-01-28  1:36 The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone Rob Landley
2007-01-28  5:34 ` Andrew Morton
     [not found] <45BC54D3.2010706@lycosxxl.de>
2007-01-28  7:52 ` Dirk Behme
2007-01-28  9:17   ` Benny Amorsen
2007-01-28 16:30     ` Dave Kleikamp
2007-01-28 16:59       ` Benny Amorsen
2007-01-28 17:24         ` Andrey Borzenkov
2007-01-28 22:37           ` Oleg Verych
     [not found]             ` <20070128151706.8d2d1841.akpm@osdl.org>
2007-01-29  1:52               ` Oleg Verych
2007-01-29  5:59                 ` Rob Landley
2007-01-29  6:28                   ` Dave Jones

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).