LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Removing dev.power.power_state (WAS: Feature Removals for 2.6.25)
@ 2008-02-01  5:28 David Brownell
  2008-02-01 15:22 ` Alan Stern
  2008-02-01 21:12 ` David Brownell
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: David Brownell @ 2008-02-01  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-pm, Harvey.Harrison, Alan Stern

Quoth Harvey Harrison:

> Ping?
> What:	dev->power.power_state
> When:	July 2007
> Why:	Broken design for runtime control over driver power states, confusing
> 	driver-internal runtime power management with:  mechanisms to support
> 	system-wide sleep state transitions; event codes that distinguish
> 	different phases of swsusp "sleep" transitions; and userspace policy
> 	inputs.  This framework was never widely used, and most attempts to
> 	use it were broken.  Drivers should instead be exposing domain-specific
> 	interfaces either to kernel or to userspace.
> Who:	Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>

A lot of the infrastructure using that has already been deleted, and
there are some incremental improvements pending for 2.6.25:

 - drivers/input/touchscreen/ads7846.c ... patch fixing this
   should be in either MM or the input queue

 - Documentation/power/devices.txt ... patch fixing this is
   in the suspend tree, due to merge RSN

 - drivers/spi/spi.c ... patch fixing this is in MM, due to
   merge with other SPI patches

 - drivers/pcmcia/ds.c ... at least I *think* that patch got sent

But there are still quite a few users left, and a new one was (sigh)
recently added.

 - drivers/rtc/rtc-sa1100.c ... new usage, merged last week

 - drivers/usb/... has various users, HCDs look easy enough to fix but
   the other bits will take more thought

 - drivers/ata/... has some too

 - drivers/ide/ppc/pmac.c

 - drivers/spi/... some controller drivers use this (look easy to fix)

 - drivers/scsi/mesh.c

 - drivers/input/serio/... has a few users

 - ... more ...

I'll probably send in a few more patches for easy stuff in areas
that I touch semi-frequently, but other folk should fix ATA, IDE,
SCSI, SERIO, and so forth.  It'd be good if Alan would help fix
the USB stuff too.  I'm not sure what Pavel's doing there...

- Dave


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Removing dev.power.power_state (WAS: Feature Removals for 2.6.25)
  2008-02-01  5:28 Removing dev.power.power_state (WAS: Feature Removals for 2.6.25) David Brownell
@ 2008-02-01 15:22 ` Alan Stern
  2008-02-01 21:24   ` David Brownell
  2008-02-01 21:12 ` David Brownell
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Alan Stern @ 2008-02-01 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-pm, Harvey.Harrison

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, David Brownell wrote:

> Quoth Harvey Harrison:
> 
> > Ping?
> > What:	dev->power.power_state
> > When:	July 2007
> > Why:	Broken design for runtime control over driver power states, confusing
> > 	driver-internal runtime power management with:  mechanisms to support
> > 	system-wide sleep state transitions; event codes that distinguish
> > 	different phases of swsusp "sleep" transitions; and userspace policy
> > 	inputs.  This framework was never widely used, and most attempts to
> > 	use it were broken.  Drivers should instead be exposing domain-specific
> > 	interfaces either to kernel or to userspace.
> > Who:	Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
> 
> A lot of the infrastructure using that has already been deleted, and
> there are some incremental improvements pending for 2.6.25:

> But there are still quite a few users left, and a new one was (sigh)
> recently added.

>  - drivers/usb/... has various users, HCDs look easy enough to fix but
>    the other bits will take more thought

>  - drivers/scsi/mesh.c

> I'll probably send in a few more patches for easy stuff in areas
> that I touch semi-frequently, but other folk should fix ATA, IDE,
> SCSI, SERIO, and so forth.  It'd be good if Alan would help fix
> the USB stuff too.  I'm not sure what Pavel's doing there...

I can look at the USB and SCSI stuff.  It shouldn't be all that bad.  
The userspace interface has been gone for quite some time now, and most 
of the remaining uses of that field are write-only.

Alan Stern


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Removing dev.power.power_state (WAS: Feature Removals for 2.6.25)
  2008-02-01  5:28 Removing dev.power.power_state (WAS: Feature Removals for 2.6.25) David Brownell
  2008-02-01 15:22 ` Alan Stern
@ 2008-02-01 21:12 ` David Brownell
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: David Brownell @ 2008-02-01 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-pm, Harvey.Harrison, Alan Stern

On Thursday 31 January 2008, David Brownell wrote:
> Quoth Harvey Harrison:
> 
> > Ping?
> > What:	dev->power.power_state
> > When:	July 2007
> 
> ... there are still quite a few users left, and a new one was (sigh)
> recently added.
> 
>  - drivers/rtc/rtc-sa1100.c ... new usage, merged last week

Fixed in a patch I just sent.

>  - drivers/spi/... some controller drivers use this (look easy to fix)

Ditto.

- Dave

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Removing dev.power.power_state (WAS: Feature Removals for 2.6.25)
  2008-02-01 15:22 ` Alan Stern
@ 2008-02-01 21:24   ` David Brownell
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: David Brownell @ 2008-02-01 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Stern; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-pm, Harvey.Harrison

On Friday 01 February 2008, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> I can look at the USB and SCSI stuff.  It shouldn't be all that bad.  
> The userspace interface has been gone for quite some time now, and most 
> of the remaining uses of that field are write-only.

It's that "most" which can make trouble.  :)

- Dave

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2008-02-01 21:24 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2008-02-01  5:28 Removing dev.power.power_state (WAS: Feature Removals for 2.6.25) David Brownell
2008-02-01 15:22 ` Alan Stern
2008-02-01 21:24   ` David Brownell
2008-02-01 21:12 ` David Brownell

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).