LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: Gerold Jury <gml@inode.at>
To: Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, linux-ide@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: extra bytes written to SATA DVD drive on kernel 2.6.23 till 2.6.24.2
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:57:57 +0100	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <200802261957.57278.gml@inode.at> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <20080225153249.5a5d555c.akpm@linux-foundation.org>

It does happen with 2.6.22 too.

Do you see any known pattern in these extra bytes ?

Best Regards
Gerold


00000000  2a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |*.......@.......|
00000010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
00020000  2a 00 00 00 00 40 00 00  40 00 00 00 00 40 00 00  |*....@..@....@..|
00020010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
00040000  2a 00 00 00 00 80 00 00  40 00 00 00 00 80 00 00  |*.......@.......|
00040010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
00060000  2a 00 00 00 00 c0 00 00  02 00 00 00 00 c0 00 00  |*...............|
00060010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
00061010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00 00 c2 00 00  |........*.......|
00061020  40 00 00 00 00 c2 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |@...............|
00061030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
00081010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00 01 02 00 00  |........*.......|
00081020  40 00 00 00 01 02 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |@...............|
00081030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
000a1010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00 01 42 00 00  |........*....B..|
000a1020  40 00 00 00 01 42 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |@....B..........|
000a1030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
000c1010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00 01 82 00 00  |........*.......|
000c1020  40 00 00 00 01 82 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |@...............|
000c1030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*



On Tuesday 26 February 2008 00:32:49 Andrew Morton wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:05:22 +0100 Gerold Jury <gml@inode.at> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have two DVD drives, one connected to the SATA port (LG) the other to
>> the IDE port (PHILIPS) of a via chipset.
>> They are driven by VIA SATA support (SATA_VIA) and VIA PATA support
>> (PATA_VIA).
>>
>> When I write an iso image to the drive on the SATA port /dev/sr0 it has
>> some extra bytes on disk which make the disk unreadable.
>> Writing to the IDE drive /dev/sr1 works well.
>>
>> A simple test with a DVD RAM and dd instead of growisofs
>>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/srX bs=1024k count=10
>>
>> and a readback afterwards
>>
>> dd if=/dev/srX of=imageX.bin bs=1024k count=10
>>
>> gives me an all zero file from the IDE drive but a file
>> full of probably scsi commands for the SATA drive and looks like
>>
>> 00000000  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 
>> |................| *
>> 00020000  2a 00 00 00 00 40 00 00  40 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 
>> |*....@..@....@..| 00020010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>> 00  |................| *
>> 00040000  2a 00 00 00 00 80 00 00  40 00 00 00 00 80 00 00 
>> |*.......@.......| 00040010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>> 00  |................| *
>> 00060000  2a 00 00 00 00 c0 00 00  02 00 00 00 00 c0 00 00 
>> |*...............| 00060010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>> 00  |................| *
>> 00061010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00 00 c2 00 00 
>> |........*.......| 00061020  40 00 00 00 00 c2 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>> 00  |@...............| 00061030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00
>> 00 00 00  |................| *
>> 00081010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00 01 02 00 00 
>> |........*.......| 00081020  40 00 00 00 01 02 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>> 00  |@...............| 00081030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00
>> 00 00 00  |................| *
>> 000a1010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00 01 42 00 00 
>> |........*....B..| 000a1020  40 00 00 00 01 42 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>> 00  |@....B..........| 000a1030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00
>> 00 00 00  |................| *
>> 000c1010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00 01 82 00 00 
>> |........*.......| 000c1020  40 00 00 00 01 82 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>> 00  |@...............| 000c1030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00
>> 00 00 00  |................|
>>
>> I really need some hints to make the SATA drive usable, please.
>
>(added linux-ide)
>
>Did any earlier kernel work OK?  2.6.22?
>
>Thanks.
>
>> uname -a
>> Linux blaubaer 2.6.24.2 #4 Sun Feb 24 21:50:21 CET 2008 x86_64 AMD
>> Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>>
>> lspvi -v
>>
>> 00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID
>> Controller (rev 80)
>>         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A7V600/K8V Deluxe/K8V-X/A8V
>> Deluxe motherboard
>>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 20
>>         I/O ports at e800 [size=8]
>>         I/O ports at e400 [size=4]
>>         I/O ports at e000 [size=8]
>>         I/O ports at d800 [size=4]
>>         I/O ports at d400 [size=16]
>>         I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
>>         Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
>>         Kernel driver in use: sata_via
>>
>> 00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
>> VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if
>> 8a [Master SecP PriP])
>>         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A7V600/K8V-X/A8V Deluxe
>> motherboard Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20
>>         [virtual] Memory at 000001f0 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8]
>>         [virtual] Memory at 000003f0 (type 3, non-prefetchable) [size=1]
>>         [virtual] Memory at 00000170 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8]
>>         [virtual] Memory at 00000370 (type 3, non-prefetchable) [size=1]
>>         I/O ports at fc00 [size=16]
>>         Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
>>         Kernel driver in use: pata_via
>>
>> cat /var/log/messages
>>
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer sata_via 0000:00:0f.0: version 2.3
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0f.0[B] -> GSI 20
>> (level, low) -> IRQ 20
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer sata_via 0000:00:0f.0: routed to hard irq line 10
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer scsi3 : sata_via
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer scsi4 : sata_via
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata4: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xe800 ctl 0xe400
>> bmdma 0xd400 irq 20
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata5: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xe000 ctl 0xd800
>> bmdma 0xd408 irq 20
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata4: SATA link down 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 0 SControl
>> 300)
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata5: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl
>> 300)
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata5.00: ATAPI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10, EL00,
>> max UDMA/100
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata5.00: configured for UDMA/100
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer scsi 4:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
>> GH20NS10  EL00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram
>> cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer pata_via 0000:00:0f.1: version 0.3.3
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0f.1[A] -> GSI 20
>> (level, low) -> IRQ 20
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer scsi5 : pata_via
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer scsi6 : pata_via
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata6: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x1f0 ctl 0x3f6 bmdma
>> 0xfc00 irq 14
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata7: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma
>> 0xfc08 irq 15
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata6.00: ATAPI: PHILIPS SPD2411P, BP01, max
>> UDMA/66 Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata6.00: limited to UDMA/33 due to
>> 40-wire cable Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer ata6.00: configured for UDMA/33
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer scsi 5:0:0:0: CD-ROM            PHILIPS  SPD2411P
>> BP01 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram
>> cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer sr 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
>> Feb 25 18:20:57 blaubaer sr 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 5



  reply	other threads:[~2008-02-26 18:55 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 13+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2008-02-25 19:05 Gerold Jury
2008-02-25 23:32 ` Andrew Morton
2008-02-26 18:57   ` Gerold Jury [this message]
2008-02-28  7:30 ` Mike Galbraith
2008-02-29 21:59   ` Gerold Jury
2008-03-01 11:53     ` Sergey Vlasov
2008-03-01 12:29       ` Gerold Jury
2008-03-07  8:40         ` Tejun Heo
2008-03-07 19:09           ` Gerold Jury
2008-03-07 19:52             ` Frans Pop
2008-03-07 20:32               ` Frans Pop
2008-11-17  3:05               ` Tejun Heo
2008-11-17  8:18                 ` Frans Pop

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=200802261957.57278.gml@inode.at \
    --to=gml@inode.at \
    --cc=akpm@linux-foundation.org \
    --cc=linux-ide@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org \
    --subject='Re: extra bytes written to SATA DVD drive on kernel 2.6.23 till 2.6.24.2' \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).