LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Re: drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/ on mips
       [not found] <20080303233651.82c592a4.akpm@linux-foundation.org>
@ 2008-03-04  9:02 ` Ralf Baechle
  2008-03-04  9:19   ` Andrew Morton
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 2+ messages in thread
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2008-03-04  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel, linux-mips

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 11:36:51PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> ERROR: "__ucmpdi2" [drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko] undefined!
> ERROR: "__ucmpdi2" [drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko] undefined!
> 
> int b43legacy_dma_init(struct b43legacy_wldev *dev)
> {
>         struct b43legacy_dma *dma = &dev->dma;
>         struct b43legacy_dmaring *ring;
>         int err;
>         u64 dmamask;
>         enum b43legacy_dmatype type;
> 
>         dmamask = supported_dma_mask(dev);
>         switch (dmamask) {
>         default:
>                 B43legacy_WARN_ON(1);
>         case DMA_30BIT_MASK:
>                 type = B43legacy_DMA_30BIT;
>                 break;
>         case DMA_32BIT_MASK:
>                 type = B43legacy_DMA_32BIT;
>                 break;
>         case DMA_64BIT_MASK:
>                 type = B43legacy_DMA_64BIT;
>                 break;
>         }
> 
> because some versions of gcc emit a __ucmpdi2 call for switch statements. 

Was this when optimizing for size btw?  It seems gcc is emitting alot more
calls to libgcc when optimizing for size.

> It might be fixable by switching to an open-coded if/compare/else sequence.

It was just a EXPORT_SYMBOL(__ucmpdi2) missing.

> Or maybe my mips compiler (gcc-3.4.5) is just too old..

I'm trying to keep the tools requirements the same as for x86.  So for
32-bit kernels gcc 3.2 is the minimum but 3.2 is broken beyond recovery
for 64-bit code so there a minimum of 3.3 is required.

In practive it is ages that I've last seen a compiler older than gcc 3.4
being used to build a modern kernel for any architecture and 3.2 and 3.3
are a sufficient special case that maybe we should think about deprecating
3.2 and 3.3?

  Ralf

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

* Re: drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/ on mips
  2008-03-04  9:02 ` drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/ on mips Ralf Baechle
@ 2008-03-04  9:19   ` Andrew Morton
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 2+ messages in thread
From: Andrew Morton @ 2008-03-04  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Baechle; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel, linux-mips

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:02:20 +0000 Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 11:36:51PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> 
> > ERROR: "__ucmpdi2" [drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko] undefined!
> > ERROR: "__ucmpdi2" [drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko] undefined!
> > 
> > int b43legacy_dma_init(struct b43legacy_wldev *dev)
> > {
> >         struct b43legacy_dma *dma = &dev->dma;
> >         struct b43legacy_dmaring *ring;
> >         int err;
> >         u64 dmamask;
> >         enum b43legacy_dmatype type;
> > 
> >         dmamask = supported_dma_mask(dev);
> >         switch (dmamask) {
> >         default:
> >                 B43legacy_WARN_ON(1);
> >         case DMA_30BIT_MASK:
> >                 type = B43legacy_DMA_30BIT;
> >                 break;
> >         case DMA_32BIT_MASK:
> >                 type = B43legacy_DMA_32BIT;
> >                 break;
> >         case DMA_64BIT_MASK:
> >                 type = B43legacy_DMA_64BIT;
> >                 break;
> >         }
> > 
> > because some versions of gcc emit a __ucmpdi2 call for switch statements. 
> 
> Was this when optimizing for size btw?

mips allmodconfig.  So: yes.

>  It seems gcc is emitting alot more
> calls to libgcc when optimizing for size.
> 
> > It might be fixable by switching to an open-coded if/compare/else sequence.
> 
> It was just a EXPORT_SYMBOL(__ucmpdi2) missing.

doh.

> > Or maybe my mips compiler (gcc-3.4.5) is just too old..
> 
> I'm trying to keep the tools requirements the same as for x86.  So for
> 32-bit kernels gcc 3.2 is the minimum but 3.2 is broken beyond recovery
> for 64-bit code so there a minimum of 3.3 is required.
> 
> In practive it is ages that I've last seen a compiler older than gcc 3.4
> being used to build a modern kernel for any architecture and 3.2 and 3.3
> are a sufficient special case that maybe we should think about deprecating
> 3.2 and 3.3?

That would make life easier for us.  I don't know what the downstream
implications would be.  I'd need a new cross-compiler, for a start ;)


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2008-03-04  9:19 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 2+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <20080303233651.82c592a4.akpm@linux-foundation.org>
2008-03-04  9:02 ` drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/ on mips Ralf Baechle
2008-03-04  9:19   ` Andrew Morton

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).