LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [A General Question] What should I do after getting Reviewed-by from a maintainer?
@ 2019-05-23  1:17 Gen Zhang
  2019-05-24 23:21 ` Randy Dunlap
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Gen Zhang @ 2019-05-23  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akpm; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Andrew,
I am starting submitting patches these days and got some patches 
"Reviewed-by" from maintainers. After checking the 
submitting-patches.html, I figured out what "Reviewed-by" means. But I
didn't get the guidance on what to do after getting "Reviewed-by".
Am I supposed to send this patch to more maintainers? Or something else?
Thanks
Gen

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [A General Question] What should I do after getting Reviewed-by from a maintainer?
  2019-05-23  1:17 [A General Question] What should I do after getting Reviewed-by from a maintainer? Gen Zhang
@ 2019-05-24 23:21 ` Randy Dunlap
  2019-05-25  2:12   ` Gen Zhang
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2019-05-24 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gen Zhang, akpm; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 5/22/19 6:17 PM, Gen Zhang wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> I am starting submitting patches these days and got some patches 
> "Reviewed-by" from maintainers. After checking the 
> submitting-patches.html, I figured out what "Reviewed-by" means. But I
> didn't get the guidance on what to do after getting "Reviewed-by".
> Am I supposed to send this patch to more maintainers? Or something else?
> Thanks
> Gen
> 

[Yes, I am not Andrew. ;]

Patches should be sent to a maintainer who is responsible for merging
changes for the driver or $arch or subsystem.
And they should also be Cc-ed to the appropriate mailing list(s) and
source code author(s), usually [unless they are no longer active].

Some source files have author email addresses in them.
Or in a kernel git tree, you can use "git log path/to/source/file.c" to see
who has been making & merging patches to that file.c.
Probably the easiest thing to do is run ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl and
it will try to tell you who to send the patch to.

HTH.
-- 
~Randy

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [A General Question] What should I do after getting Reviewed-by from a maintainer?
  2019-05-24 23:21 ` Randy Dunlap
@ 2019-05-25  2:12   ` Gen Zhang
  2019-05-25  5:06     ` Willy Tarreau
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Gen Zhang @ 2019-05-25  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: akpm, linux-kernel

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 04:21:36PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 5/22/19 6:17 PM, Gen Zhang wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> > I am starting submitting patches these days and got some patches 
> > "Reviewed-by" from maintainers. After checking the 
> > submitting-patches.html, I figured out what "Reviewed-by" means. But I
> > didn't get the guidance on what to do after getting "Reviewed-by".
> > Am I supposed to send this patch to more maintainers? Or something else?
> > Thanks
> > Gen
> > 
> 
> [Yes, I am not Andrew. ;]
> 
> Patches should be sent to a maintainer who is responsible for merging
> changes for the driver or $arch or subsystem.
> And they should also be Cc-ed to the appropriate mailing list(s) and
> source code author(s), usually [unless they are no longer active].
> 
> Some source files have author email addresses in them.
> Or in a kernel git tree, you can use "git log path/to/source/file.c" to see
> who has been making & merging patches to that file.c.
> Probably the easiest thing to do is run ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl and
> it will try to tell you who to send the patch to.
> 
> HTH.
> -- 
> ~Randy
Thanks for your patient instructions, Randy! I alrady figured it out.

Thanks
Gen

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [A General Question] What should I do after getting Reviewed-by from a maintainer?
  2019-05-25  2:12   ` Gen Zhang
@ 2019-05-25  5:06     ` Willy Tarreau
  2019-05-26  2:22       ` Gen Zhang
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2019-05-25  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gen Zhang; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, akpm, linux-kernel

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 10:12:41AM +0800, Gen Zhang wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 04:21:36PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > On 5/22/19 6:17 PM, Gen Zhang wrote:
> > > Hi Andrew,
> > > I am starting submitting patches these days and got some patches 
> > > "Reviewed-by" from maintainers. After checking the 
> > > submitting-patches.html, I figured out what "Reviewed-by" means. But I
> > > didn't get the guidance on what to do after getting "Reviewed-by".
> > > Am I supposed to send this patch to more maintainers? Or something else?
> > > Thanks
> > > Gen
> > > 
> > 
> > [Yes, I am not Andrew. ;]
> > 
> > Patches should be sent to a maintainer who is responsible for merging
> > changes for the driver or $arch or subsystem.
> > And they should also be Cc-ed to the appropriate mailing list(s) and
> > source code author(s), usually [unless they are no longer active].
> > 
> > Some source files have author email addresses in them.
> > Or in a kernel git tree, you can use "git log path/to/source/file.c" to see
> > who has been making & merging patches to that file.c.
> > Probably the easiest thing to do is run ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl and
> > it will try to tell you who to send the patch to.
> > 
> > HTH.
> > -- 
> > ~Randy
> Thanks for your patient instructions, Randy! I alrady figured it out.

Then if your question is what to do with these "Reviewed-by", you should
edit your patches and place these fields next to your Signed-off-by line
to indicate that these persons have reviewed this code (and didn't have
anything particular to say about it). From this point you should not
modify the patches with this tag.

When you'll resend your final series to the maintainer, it will include
all these reviewed-by tags and will generally save the maintainer some
review time by skipping some of them.

Willy

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [A General Question] What should I do after getting Reviewed-by from a maintainer?
  2019-05-25  5:06     ` Willy Tarreau
@ 2019-05-26  2:22       ` Gen Zhang
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Gen Zhang @ 2019-05-26  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Tarreau; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, akpm, linux-kernel

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 07:06:48AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 10:12:41AM +0800, Gen Zhang wrote:
> > On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 04:21:36PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > > On 5/22/19 6:17 PM, Gen Zhang wrote:
> > > > Hi Andrew,
> > > > I am starting submitting patches these days and got some patches 
> > > > "Reviewed-by" from maintainers. After checking the 
> > > > submitting-patches.html, I figured out what "Reviewed-by" means. But I
> > > > didn't get the guidance on what to do after getting "Reviewed-by".
> > > > Am I supposed to send this patch to more maintainers? Or something else?
> > > > Thanks
> > > > Gen
> > > > 
> > > 
> > > [Yes, I am not Andrew. ;]
> > > 
> > > Patches should be sent to a maintainer who is responsible for merging
> > > changes for the driver or $arch or subsystem.
> > > And they should also be Cc-ed to the appropriate mailing list(s) and
> > > source code author(s), usually [unless they are no longer active].
> > > 
> > > Some source files have author email addresses in them.
> > > Or in a kernel git tree, you can use "git log path/to/source/file.c" to see
> > > who has been making & merging patches to that file.c.
> > > Probably the easiest thing to do is run ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl and
> > > it will try to tell you who to send the patch to.
> > > 
> > > HTH.
> > > -- 
> > > ~Randy
> > Thanks for your patient instructions, Randy! I alrady figured it out.
> 
> Then if your question is what to do with these "Reviewed-by", you should
> edit your patches and place these fields next to your Signed-off-by line
> to indicate that these persons have reviewed this code (and didn't have
> anything particular to say about it). From this point you should not
> modify the patches with this tag.
> 
> When you'll resend your final series to the maintainer, it will include
> all these reviewed-by tags and will generally save the maintainer some
> review time by skipping some of them.
> 
> Willy
Thanks for your instructions, Willy! I already figured out what to do
now.

Thanks
Gen

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2019-05-26  2:42 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-05-23  1:17 [A General Question] What should I do after getting Reviewed-by from a maintainer? Gen Zhang
2019-05-24 23:21 ` Randy Dunlap
2019-05-25  2:12   ` Gen Zhang
2019-05-25  5:06     ` Willy Tarreau
2019-05-26  2:22       ` Gen Zhang

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).