LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Linux and 760MP
@ 2001-10-05 13:01 Trever L. Adams
  2001-10-05 14:42 ` Alan Cox
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Trever L. Adams @ 2001-10-05 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel Mailing List

I have been reading here about problems with Dual Athlon systems and
Linux.  I understand some of these are apparently chipset or DMA
related.

Can anyone point me to more recent information on newer boards and such
where I can find out if this is still a problem now or not?

Trever Adams




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux and 760MP
  2001-10-05 13:01 Linux and 760MP Trever L. Adams
@ 2001-10-05 14:42 ` Alan Cox
  2001-10-05 21:09   ` Jussi Laako
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-10-05 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trever L. Adams; +Cc: Linux Kernel Mailing List

> I have been reading here about problems with Dual Athlon systems and
> Linux.  I understand some of these are apparently chipset or DMA
> related.
> 
> Can anyone point me to more recent information on newer boards and such
> where I can find out if this is still a problem now or not?

Pick up the 760MP errata document from AMD if you are curious. The major 
problems in the 760MP about DMA are fixed in the production steppings. From
memory the production ones have a couple of IDE errata (performance and
can't enable prefetching) and an APIC one

Alan

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux and 760MP
  2001-10-05 14:42 ` Alan Cox
@ 2001-10-05 21:09   ` Jussi Laako
  2001-10-05 22:19     ` Alan Cox
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Jussi Laako @ 2001-10-05 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Alan Cox wrote:
> 
> memory the production ones have a couple of IDE errata (performance and
> can't enable prefetching) and an APIC one

Is there workaround for these in recent -ac kernels? So is it safe to buy
Tyan Tiger MP for example?


 - Jussi Laako

-- 
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux and 760MP
  2001-10-05 21:09   ` Jussi Laako
@ 2001-10-05 22:19     ` Alan Cox
  2001-10-06 14:21       ` Willem Riede
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-10-05 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Laako; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Alan Cox wrote:
> > memory the production ones have a couple of IDE errata (performance and
> > can't enable prefetching) and an APIC one
> 
> Is there workaround for these in recent -ac kernels? So is it safe to buy
> Tyan Tiger MP for example?

Nothing should be needed. If it is then running "noapic" is going to cure
it.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Linux and 760MP
  2001-10-05 22:19     ` Alan Cox
@ 2001-10-06 14:21       ` Willem Riede
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Willem Riede @ 2001-10-06 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Laako; +Cc: linux-kernel

Alan Cox wrote:

>>Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>>>memory the production ones have a couple of IDE errata (performance and
>>>can't enable prefetching) and an APIC one
>>>
>>Is there workaround for these in recent -ac kernels? So is it safe to buy
>>Tyan Tiger MP for example?
>>
>
>Nothing should be needed. If it is then running "noapic" is going to cure
>it.
>-
>
I've got my Tyan Tiger MP up now for about a week, running a 2.4.9-ac18 
kernel with
some of the patches from Red Hat's Rawhide kernel rpm applied, and I've 
not needed
"noapic" and it's been perfectly stable. I'm not through testing or 
optimizing performance
though, but so far so good.

Willem Riede.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2001-10-06 14:21 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2001-10-05 13:01 Linux and 760MP Trever L. Adams
2001-10-05 14:42 ` Alan Cox
2001-10-05 21:09   ` Jussi Laako
2001-10-05 22:19     ` Alan Cox
2001-10-06 14:21       ` Willem Riede

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).