LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
@ 2021-07-27 15:54 Guillaume Tucker
  2021-07-27 15:58 ` [kernelci-members] " Greg KH
       [not found] ` <16F4479F76A8C807.11895@groups.io>
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2021-07-27 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci; +Cc: kernelci-members, automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc

Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
While other things are arguably even more important, such as
testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
while.

There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have.  As
such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
this gap.

The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
governing board.

In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
still need formal confirmation.


Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:

  https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4

I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:

  https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones


This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
this effort in any other way.

Best wishes,
Guillaume

[1] https://foundation.kernelci.org/blog/2020/07/09/kernelci-community-survey-report/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
  2021-07-27 15:54 KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard Guillaume Tucker
@ 2021-07-27 15:58 ` Greg KH
  2021-07-27 16:34   ` Gustavo Padovan
       [not found] ` <16F4479F76A8C807.11895@groups.io>
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Greg KH @ 2021-07-27 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members; +Cc: kernelci, automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 04:54:46PM +0100, Guillaume Tucker wrote:
> Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
> having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
> one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
> While other things are arguably even more important, such as
> testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
> and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
> workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
> while.
> 
> There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
> Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
> single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
> solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
> the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
> web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
> into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
> who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have.  As
> such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
> this gap.
> 
> The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
> to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
> Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
> who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
> facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
> governing board.
> 
> In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
> people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
> lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
> weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
> Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
> still need formal confirmation.
> 
> 
> Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
> 
>   https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
> 
> I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
> stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
> 
>   https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
> 
> 
> This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
> of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
> on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
> expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
> this effort in any other way.

How do we "join" the working group?  I'm willing to help out from the
"user who will use this a lot and complain about things that do not
work well" point of view :)

thanks,

greg k-h

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group:  Web Dashboard
  2021-07-27 15:58 ` [kernelci-members] " Greg KH
@ 2021-07-27 16:34   ` Gustavo Padovan
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2021-07-27 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members; +Cc: kernelci, automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc

Hi Greg,
 
On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 12:58 -03, "Greg KH" <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote: 
 
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 04:54:46PM +0100, Guillaume Tucker wrote:
> > Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
> > having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
> > one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
> > While other things are arguably even more important, such as
> > testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
> > and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
> > workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
> > while.
> > 
> > There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
> > Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
> > single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
> > solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
> > the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
> > web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
> > into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
> > who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have.  As
> > such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
> > this gap.
> > 
> > The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
> > to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
> > Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
> > who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
> > facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
> > governing board.
> > 
> > In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
> > people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
> > lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
> > weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
> > Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
> > still need formal confirmation.
> > 
> > 
> > Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
> > 
> >   https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
> > 
> > I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
> > stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
> > 
> >   https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
> > 
> > 
> > This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
> > of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
> > on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
> > expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
> > this effort in any other way.
> 
> How do we "join" the working group?  I'm willing to help out from the
> "user who will use this a lot and complain about things that do not
> work well" point of view :)

Congratulations! You are now part of the working group. :) For now, anyone that is interested can step up, and maybe in a few weeks we can formalize with those who wants to take on the journey together with us in this working group.

Based on the replies to this thread I can put together an initial agenda and follow up with the potential times for a kick-off meeting.

Regards,

Gustavo


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
       [not found]   ` <16F65ECD601264EC.15470@groups.io>
@ 2022-07-18 14:17     ` Gustavo Padovan
       [not found]     ` <1706557437ACCB9C.25939@groups.io>
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2022-07-18 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members, kernelci
  Cc: automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc, Simon Xiao,
	Carlos Cardenas, KY Srinivasan, Sharath George John,
	Alain Gefflaut (HE/HIM),
	Johnson George

Hi everyone,

In our last Web Dashboard meeting[1] where we reviewed the User Stories 
document[2]. Then, after that we worked offline to incorporate the 
feedback on doc, so it is time for our next meeting to further discuss. 
Please answer the poll with your time availability on the link below. I 
added dates from 21th to 28th of July.

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/eX6vyY5b

Thank you,

Gus
—
[1]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#bookmark=id.6ok0ufne9shj
[2]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit#heading=h.wjoxi4s5pxzl 


On 6/7/22 10:46, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Our next meeting has been scheduled for this Thursday at 3pm UTC. 
> Invite was sent to the kernelci-members list, but here goes the 
> instructions to join as well:
>
> This event has a video call.
> Join: https://meet.google.com/yyz-jzjy-yfu
> (US) +1 254-227-6870 PIN: 188509910#
> View more phone numbers: 
> https://tel.meet/yyz-jzjy-yfu?pin=5882595078642&hs=7
>
> Regards,
>
> Gustavo
>
> Le 31/05/2022 à 15:34, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> **
>>
>> *From our first meeting back in October[1], we took the action of 
>> organizing our user stories that you were spread as a comments in the 
>> the github issue{2} and, converting them into User Stories document[3].*
>>
>> *
>>
>> In the next meeting, we want to study the current User Stories and 
>> start discussions to progress on development. The proposed slots are 
>> for next week. Please answer the doodle by the end of this week:
>>
>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/egJ12A9d
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Gustavo
>>
>> [1] 
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit# 
>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#>
>>
>> [2] https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28 
>> <https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28>
>>
>> {3} 
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit 
>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit>* 
>>
>> Le 27/07/2021 à 11:54, Guillaume Tucker a écrit :
>>> Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
>>> having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
>>> one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
>>> While other things are arguably even more important, such as
>>> testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
>>> and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
>>> workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
>>> while.
>>>
>>> There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
>>> Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
>>> single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
>>> solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
>>> the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
>>> web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
>>> into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
>>> who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have.  As
>>> such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
>>> this gap.
>>>
>>> The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
>>> to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
>>> Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
>>> who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
>>> facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
>>> governing board.
>>>
>>> In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
>>> people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
>>> lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
>>> weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
>>> Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
>>> still need formal confirmation.
>>>
>>>
>>> Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
>>>
>>>    https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
>>>
>>> I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
>>> stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
>>>
>>>    https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
>>>
>>>
>>> This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
>>> of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
>>> on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
>>> expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
>>> this effort in any other way.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Guillaume
>>>
>>> [1]https://foundation.kernelci.org/blog/2020/07/09/kernelci-community-survey-report/
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
> _._,_._,_
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Groups.io Links:
>
> You receive all messages sent to this group.
>
> View/Reply Online (#404) 
> <https://groups.io/g/kernelci-members/message/404> | Reply To Group 
> <mailto:kernelci-members@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bkernelci-members%5D%20KernelCI%20working%20group%3A%20Web%20Dashboard> 
> | Reply To Sender 
> <mailto:gustavo.padovan@collabora.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bkernelci-members%5D%20KernelCI%20working%20group%3A%20Web%20Dashboard> 
> | Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/84484922/6162449> | New Topic 
> <https://groups.io/g/kernelci-members/post>
> Your Subscription 
> <https://groups.io/g/kernelci-members/editsub/6162449> | Contact Group 
> Owner <mailto:kernelci-members+owner@groups.io> | Unsubscribe 
> <https://groups.io/g/kernelci-members/leave/10351275/6162449/983346018/xyzzy> 
> [gustavo.padovan@collabora.com]
>
> _._,_._,_

-- 
Gustavo Padovan
Kernel team Lead

Collabora Ltd.
Platinum Building, St John's Innovation Park
Cambridge CB4 0DS, UK
Registered in England & Wales, no. 5513718


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
       [not found]     ` <1706557437ACCB9C.25939@groups.io>
@ 2022-08-29 15:04       ` Gustavo Padovan
       [not found]       ` <170FD91B51709B41.16609@groups.io>
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2022-08-29 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members, kernelci
  Cc: automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc, Simon Xiao,
	Carlos Cardenas, KY Srinivasan, Sharath George John,
	Alain Gefflaut (HE/HIM),
	Johnson George

Hello,

The previous tentative below didn't work due to vacation season. Here's 
a new pool with dates from 1st to 8th of September. Please answer it 
until this Wednesday August 31th.

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/dG5v423a

See the email below for meetings notes and current User Stories document.

Regards,

Gustavo

On 7/18/22 10:17, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In our last Web Dashboard meeting[1] where we reviewed the User 
> Stories document[2]. Then, after that we worked offline to incorporate 
> the feedback on doc, so it is time for our next meeting to further 
> discuss. Please answer the poll with your time availability on the 
> link below. I added dates from 21th to 28th of July.
>
> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/eX6vyY5b
>
> Thank you,
>
> Gus
> —
> [1]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#bookmark=id.6ok0ufne9shj 
>
> [2]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit#heading=h.wjoxi4s5pxzl 
>
>
> On 6/7/22 10:46, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Our next meeting has been scheduled for this Thursday at 3pm UTC. 
>> Invite was sent to the kernelci-members list, but here goes the 
>> instructions to join as well:
>>
>> This event has a video call.
>> Join: https://meet.google.com/yyz-jzjy-yfu
>> (US) +1 254-227-6870 PIN: 188509910#
>> View more phone numbers: 
>> https://tel.meet/yyz-jzjy-yfu?pin=5882595078642&hs=7
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Gustavo
>>
>> Le 31/05/2022 à 15:34, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> **
>>>
>>> *From our first meeting back in October[1], we took the action of 
>>> organizing our user stories that you were spread as a comments in 
>>> the the github issue{2} and, converting them into User Stories 
>>> document[3].*
>>>
>>> *
>>>
>>> In the next meeting, we want to study the current User Stories and 
>>> start discussions to progress on development. The proposed slots are 
>>> for next week. Please answer the doodle by the end of this week:
>>>
>>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/egJ12A9d
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Gustavo
>>>
>>> [1] 
>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit# 
>>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#> 
>>>
>>>
>>> [2] https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28 
>>> <https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28>
>>>
>>> {3} 
>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit 
>>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit>* 
>>>
>>> Le 27/07/2021 à 11:54, Guillaume Tucker a écrit :
>>>> Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
>>>> having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
>>>> one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
>>>> While other things are arguably even more important, such as
>>>> testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
>>>> and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
>>>> workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
>>>> while.
>>>>
>>>> There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
>>>> Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
>>>> single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
>>>> solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
>>>> the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
>>>> web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
>>>> into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
>>>> who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have. As
>>>> such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
>>>> this gap.
>>>>
>>>> The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
>>>> to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
>>>> Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
>>>> who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
>>>> facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
>>>> governing board.
>>>>
>>>> In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
>>>> people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
>>>> lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
>>>> weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
>>>> Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
>>>> still need formal confirmation.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
>>>>
>>>>    https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
>>>>
>>>> I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
>>>> stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
>>>>
>>>>    https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
>>>> of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
>>>> on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
>>>> expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
>>>> this effort in any other way.
>>>>
>>>> Best wishes,
>>>> Guillaume
>>>>
>>>> [1]https://foundation.kernelci.org/blog/2020/07/09/kernelci-community-survey-report/ 
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>

-- 
Gustavo Padovan

Collabora Ltd.
Platinum Building, St John's Innovation Park
Cambridge CB4 0DS, UK
Registered in England & Wales, no. 5513718


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
       [not found]       ` <170FD91B51709B41.16609@groups.io>
@ 2022-09-01 19:32         ` Gustavo Padovan
       [not found]         ` <1710D385D5C94519.1438@groups.io>
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2022-09-01 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members, kernelci
  Cc: automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc, Simon Xiao,
	Carlos Cardenas, KY Srinivasan, Sharath George John,
	Alain Gefflaut (HE/HIM),
	Johnson George

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 5902 bytes --]

Hello,

The next meeting is next Monday September 5th at 12:00pm EDT. Invite 
sent to those who answered the poll and the the members and tsc mailing 
list. In any invite ics is attached.

Best regards,

Gustavo

Le 29/08/2022 à 11:04, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> The previous tentative below didn't work due to vacation season. 
> Here's a new pool with dates from 1st to 8th of September. Please 
> answer it until this Wednesday August 31th.
>
> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/dG5v423a
>
> See the email below for meetings notes and current User Stories document.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gustavo
>
> On 7/18/22 10:17, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> In our last Web Dashboard meeting[1] where we reviewed the User 
>> Stories document[2]. Then, after that we worked offline to 
>> incorporate the feedback on doc, so it is time for our next meeting 
>> to further discuss. Please answer the poll with your time 
>> availability on the link below. I added dates from 21th to 28th of July.
>>
>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/eX6vyY5b
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Gus
>> —
>> [1]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#bookmark=id.6ok0ufne9shj 
>>
>> [2]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit#heading=h.wjoxi4s5pxzl 
>>
>>
>> On 6/7/22 10:46, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Our next meeting has been scheduled for this Thursday at 3pm UTC. 
>>> Invite was sent to the kernelci-members list, but here goes the 
>>> instructions to join as well:
>>>
>>> This event has a video call.
>>> Join: https://meet.google.com/yyz-jzjy-yfu
>>> (US) +1 254-227-6870 PIN: 188509910#
>>> View more phone numbers: 
>>> https://tel.meet/yyz-jzjy-yfu?pin=5882595078642&hs=7
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Gustavo
>>>
>>> Le 31/05/2022 à 15:34, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
>>>>
>>>> Hello everyone,
>>>>
>>>> **
>>>>
>>>> *From our first meeting back in October[1], we took the action of 
>>>> organizing our user stories that you were spread as a comments in 
>>>> the the github issue{2} and, converting them into User Stories 
>>>> document[3].*
>>>>
>>>> *
>>>>
>>>> In the next meeting, we want to study the current User Stories and 
>>>> start discussions to progress on development. The proposed slots 
>>>> are for next week. Please answer the doodle by the end of this week:
>>>>
>>>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/egJ12A9d
>>>>
>>>> Best regards,
>>>>
>>>> Gustavo
>>>>
>>>> [1] 
>>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit# 
>>>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#> 
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> [2] https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28 
>>>> <https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28>
>>>>
>>>> {3} 
>>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit 
>>>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit>* 
>>>>
>>>> Le 27/07/2021 à 11:54, Guillaume Tucker a écrit :
>>>>> Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
>>>>> having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
>>>>> one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
>>>>> While other things are arguably even more important, such as
>>>>> testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
>>>>> and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
>>>>> workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
>>>>> while.
>>>>>
>>>>> There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
>>>>> Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
>>>>> single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
>>>>> solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
>>>>> the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
>>>>> web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
>>>>> into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
>>>>> who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have. As
>>>>> such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
>>>>> this gap.
>>>>>
>>>>> The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
>>>>> to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
>>>>> Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
>>>>> who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
>>>>> facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
>>>>> governing board.
>>>>>
>>>>> In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
>>>>> people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
>>>>> lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
>>>>> weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
>>>>> Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
>>>>> still need formal confirmation.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
>>>>>
>>>>>    https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
>>>>>
>>>>> I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
>>>>> stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
>>>>>
>>>>>    https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
>>>>> of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
>>>>> on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
>>>>> expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
>>>>> this effort in any other way.
>>>>>
>>>>> Best wishes,
>>>>> Guillaume
>>>>>
>>>>> [1]https://foundation.kernelci.org/blog/2020/07/09/kernelci-community-survey-report/ 
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>
>

[-- Attachment #2: invite.ics --]
[-- Type: text/calendar, Size: 3654 bytes --]

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//Google Inc//Google Calendar 70.9054//EN
VERSION:2.0
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
METHOD:REQUEST
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20220905T160000Z
DTEND:20220905T170000Z
DTSTAMP:20220901T192904Z
ORGANIZER;CN=kernel bot:mailto:bot@kernelci.org
UID:59e134a5v811tplqpr1j8c2gcn@google.com
ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=
 TRUE;CN=guillaume.tucker@collabora.com;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:guillaume.tuck
 er@collabora.com
ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=ACCEPTED;RSVP=TRUE
 ;CN=kernel bot;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:bot@kernelci.org
ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=
 TRUE;CN=khilman@baylibre.com;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:khilman@baylibre.com
ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=
 TRUE;CN=nikolai.kondrashov@redhat.com;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:nikolai.kondras
 hov@redhat.com
ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=
 TRUE;CN=kernelci-tsc@groups.io;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:kernelci-tsc@groups.io
ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=
 TRUE;CN=kernelci-members@groups.io;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:kernelci-members@g
 roups.io
ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=
 TRUE;CN=johnson.george@microsoft.com;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:johnson.george@m
 icrosoft.com
ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=
 TRUE;CN=denys.f@collabora.com;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:denys.f@collabora.com
ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=
 TRUE;CN=gustavo.padovan@collabora.com;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:gustavo.padovan
 @collabora.com
X-GOOGLE-CONFERENCE:https://meet.google.com/ajg-qxsz-uje
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-OWNERAPPTID:-1184272718
CREATED:20220901T192903Z
DESCRIPTION:<br>In our last Web Dashboard meeting[1] where we reviewed the 
 User Stories document[2]. Then\, after that we worked offline to incorporat
 e the feedback on doc\, so it is time for our next meeting to further discu
 ss the next steps<br>—<br>[1] meeting notes:&nbsp\;<a href="https://docs.go
 ogle.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#bookm
 ark=id.6ok0ufne9shj" class="pastedDriveLink-0" id="ow698" __is_owner="true"
 >https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08od
 izl1Y/edit#bookmark=id.6ok0ufne9shj</a> <br>[2] User stories&nbsp\;<a href=
 "https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX
 7trP8/edit#heading=h.wjoxi4s5pxzl" class="pastedDriveLink-1" id="ow705" __i
 s_owner="true">https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIX
 k95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit#heading=h.wjoxi4s5pxzl</a>\n\n-::~:~::~:~:~:~:~:~:
 ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~::~:~::-\nThis e
 vent has a video call.\nJoin: https://meet.google.com/ajg-qxsz-uje\n(US) +1
  314-325-2325 PIN: 560694566#\nView more phone numbers: https://tel.meet/aj
 g-qxsz-uje?pin=8415062680492&hs=7\n\nView your event at https://calendar.go
 ogle.com/calendar/event?action=VIEW&eid=NTllMTM0YTV2ODExdHBscXByMWo4YzJnY24
 ga2VybmVsY2ktbWVtYmVyc0Bncm91cHMuaW8&tok=MTYjYm90QGtlcm5lbGNpLm9yZzE4NGNhMG
 QzODZjYTNkNWYyOGZiMjU5NmVhYjU4NTFiOWRmMWM4OTM&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles&hl=
 en&es=1.\n\nDo not edit this section of the description.\n-::~:~::~:~:~:~:~
 :~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~::~:~::-
LAST-MODIFIED:20220901T192903Z
LOCATION:
SEQUENCE:0
STATUS:CONFIRMED
SUMMARY:KernelCI Web Dashboard WG
TRANSP:OPAQUE
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
       [not found]         ` <1710D385D5C94519.1438@groups.io>
@ 2022-09-05 11:04           ` Gustavo Padovan
  2022-09-05 12:13             ` Nikolai Kondrashov
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2022-09-05 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members, kernelci
  Cc: automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc, Simon Xiao,
	Carlos Cardenas, KY Srinivasan, Sharath George John,
	Alain Gefflaut (HE/HIM),
	Johnson George

Hello,

I have learned that Today is holiday in the US and Canada. So I am 
moving this invite to the same time next week. If it doesn't work for 
people, we can start a new pool. Please let me know.

Regards,

Gustavo

Le 01/09/2022 à 15:32, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> The next meeting is next Monday September 5th at 12:00pm EDT. Invite 
> sent to those who answered the poll and the the members and tsc 
> mailing list. In any invite ics is attached.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gustavo
>
> Le 29/08/2022 à 11:04, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> The previous tentative below didn't work due to vacation season. 
>> Here's a new pool with dates from 1st to 8th of September. Please 
>> answer it until this Wednesday August 31th.
>>
>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/dG5v423a
>>
>> See the email below for meetings notes and current User Stories 
>> document.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Gustavo
>>
>> On 7/18/22 10:17, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> In our last Web Dashboard meeting[1] where we reviewed the User 
>>> Stories document[2]. Then, after that we worked offline to 
>>> incorporate the feedback on doc, so it is time for our next meeting 
>>> to further discuss. Please answer the poll with your time 
>>> availability on the link below. I added dates from 21th to 28th of 
>>> July.
>>>
>>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/eX6vyY5b
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Gus
>>> —
>>> [1]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#bookmark=id.6ok0ufne9shj 
>>>
>>> [2]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit#heading=h.wjoxi4s5pxzl 
>>>
>>>
>>> On 6/7/22 10:46, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> Our next meeting has been scheduled for this Thursday at 3pm UTC. 
>>>> Invite was sent to the kernelci-members list, but here goes the 
>>>> instructions to join as well:
>>>>
>>>> This event has a video call.
>>>> Join: https://meet.google.com/yyz-jzjy-yfu
>>>> (US) +1 254-227-6870 PIN: 188509910#
>>>> View more phone numbers: 
>>>> https://tel.meet/yyz-jzjy-yfu?pin=5882595078642&hs=7
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>>
>>>> Gustavo
>>>>
>>>> Le 31/05/2022 à 15:34, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
>>>>>
>>>>> Hello everyone,
>>>>>
>>>>> **
>>>>>
>>>>> *From our first meeting back in October[1], we took the action of 
>>>>> organizing our user stories that you were spread as a comments in 
>>>>> the the github issue{2} and, converting them into User Stories 
>>>>> document[3].*
>>>>>
>>>>> *
>>>>>
>>>>> In the next meeting, we want to study the current User Stories and 
>>>>> start discussions to progress on development. The proposed slots 
>>>>> are for next week. Please answer the doodle by the end of this week:
>>>>>
>>>>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/egJ12A9d
>>>>>
>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>>
>>>>> Gustavo
>>>>>
>>>>> [1] 
>>>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit# 
>>>>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#> 
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> [2] https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28 
>>>>> <https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28>
>>>>>
>>>>> {3} 
>>>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit 
>>>>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit>* 
>>>>>
>>>>> Le 27/07/2021 à 11:54, Guillaume Tucker a écrit :
>>>>>> Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
>>>>>> having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
>>>>>> one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
>>>>>> While other things are arguably even more important, such as
>>>>>> testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
>>>>>> and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
>>>>>> workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
>>>>>> while.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
>>>>>> Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
>>>>>> single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
>>>>>> solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
>>>>>> the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
>>>>>> web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
>>>>>> into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
>>>>>> who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have. As
>>>>>> such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
>>>>>> this gap.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
>>>>>> to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
>>>>>> Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
>>>>>> who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
>>>>>> facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
>>>>>> governing board.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
>>>>>> people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
>>>>>> lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
>>>>>> weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
>>>>>> Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
>>>>>> still need formal confirmation.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>    https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
>>>>>> stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
>>>>>> of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
>>>>>> on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
>>>>>> expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
>>>>>> this effort in any other way.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Best wishes,
>>>>>> Guillaume
>>>>>>
>>>>>> [1]https://foundation.kernelci.org/blog/2020/07/09/kernelci-community-survey-report/ 
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
> View/Reply Online (#463): 
> https://groups.io/g/kernelci-members/message/463
> Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/84484922/6162449
> Group Owner: kernelci-members+owner@groups.io
> Unsubscribe: 
> https://groups.io/g/kernelci-members/leave/10351275/6162449/983346018/xyzzy 
> [gustavo.padovan@collabora.com]
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
  2022-09-05 11:04           ` Gustavo Padovan
@ 2022-09-05 12:13             ` Nikolai Kondrashov
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Nikolai Kondrashov @ 2022-09-05 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci, gustavo.padovan, kernelci-members
  Cc: automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc, Simon Xiao,
	Carlos Cardenas, KY Srinivasan, Sharath George John,
	Alain Gefflaut (HE/HIM),
	Johnson George

Hello Gustavo,

It probably won't work next week, as much of KernelCI (at least) will be at 
the Linux Plumbers conference.

Nick

On 9/5/22 14:04, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I have learned that Today is holiday in the US and Canada. So I am moving this 
> invite to the same time next week. If it doesn't work for people, we can start 
> a new pool. Please let me know.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Gustavo
> 
> Le 01/09/2022 à 15:32, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> The next meeting is next Monday September 5th at 12:00pm EDT. Invite sent to 
>> those who answered the poll and the the members and tsc mailing list. In any 
>> invite ics is attached.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Gustavo
>>
>> Le 29/08/2022 à 11:04, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The previous tentative below didn't work due to vacation season. Here's a 
>>> new pool with dates from 1st to 8th of September. Please answer it until 
>>> this Wednesday August 31th.
>>>
>>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/dG5v423a
>>>
>>> See the email below for meetings notes and current User Stories document.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Gustavo
>>>
>>> On 7/18/22 10:17, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
>>>> Hi everyone,
>>>>
>>>> In our last Web Dashboard meeting[1] where we reviewed the User Stories 
>>>> document[2]. Then, after that we worked offline to incorporate the 
>>>> feedback on doc, so it is time for our next meeting to further discuss. 
>>>> Please answer the poll with your time availability on the link below. I 
>>>> added dates from 21th to 28th of July.
>>>>
>>>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/eX6vyY5b
>>>>
>>>> Thank you,
>>>>
>>>> Gus
>>>> —
>>>> [1]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#bookmark=id.6ok0ufne9shj
>>>> [2]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit#heading=h.wjoxi4s5pxzl
>>>>
>>>> On 6/7/22 10:46, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>
>>>>> Our next meeting has been scheduled for this Thursday at 3pm UTC. Invite 
>>>>> was sent to the kernelci-members list, but here goes the instructions to 
>>>>> join as well:
>>>>>
>>>>> This event has a video call.
>>>>> Join: https://meet.google.com/yyz-jzjy-yfu
>>>>> (US) +1 254-227-6870 PIN: 188509910#
>>>>> View more phone numbers: 
>>>>> https://tel.meet/yyz-jzjy-yfu?pin=5882595078642&hs=7
>>>>>
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>
>>>>> Gustavo
>>>>>
>>>>> Le 31/05/2022 à 15:34, Gustavo Padovan a écrit :
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hello everyone,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> **
>>>>>>
>>>>>> *From our first meeting back in October[1], we took the action of 
>>>>>> organizing our user stories that you were spread as a comments in the 
>>>>>> the github issue{2} and, converting them into User Stories document[3].*
>>>>>>
>>>>>> *
>>>>>>
>>>>>> In the next meeting, we want to study the current User Stories and start 
>>>>>> discussions to progress on development. The proposed slots are for next 
>>>>>> week. Please answer the doodle by the end of this week:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/egJ12A9d
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Gustavo
>>>>>>
>>>>>> [1] 
>>>>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit# <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp-2L54tnrwkZ--59t2GeXuq1gt5dDnsFy08odizl1Y/edit#>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> [2] https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28 
>>>>>> <https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/discussions/28>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> {3} 
>>>>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rfMpas4n_gw2GvUTRU63vIXk95VotJuittalX7trP8/edit>*
>>>>>> Le 27/07/2021 à 11:54, Guillaume Tucker a écrit :
>>>>>>> Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
>>>>>>> having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
>>>>>>> one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
>>>>>>> While other things are arguably even more important, such as
>>>>>>> testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
>>>>>>> and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
>>>>>>> workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
>>>>>>> while.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
>>>>>>> Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
>>>>>>> single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
>>>>>>> solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
>>>>>>> the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
>>>>>>> web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
>>>>>>> into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
>>>>>>> who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have. As
>>>>>>> such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
>>>>>>> this gap.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
>>>>>>> to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
>>>>>>> Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
>>>>>>> who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
>>>>>>> facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
>>>>>>> governing board.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
>>>>>>> people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
>>>>>>> lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
>>>>>>> weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
>>>>>>> Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
>>>>>>> still need formal confirmation.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>    https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
>>>>>>> stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
>>>>>>> of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
>>>>>>> on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
>>>>>>> expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
>>>>>>> this effort in any other way.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Best wishes,
>>>>>>> Guillaume
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> [1]https://foundation.kernelci.org/blog/2020/07/09/kernelci-community-survey-report/
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
> 
> 
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
> View/Reply Online (#1588): https://groups.io/g/kernelci/message/1588
> Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/93476003/3616695
> Group Owner: kernelci+owner@groups.io
> Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/kernelci/unsub [Nikolai.Kondrashov@redhat.com]
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> 
> 


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
       [not found] <1695B2FF4ECA569A.21772@groups.io>
@ 2021-10-05 13:20 ` Gustavo Padovan
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2021-10-05 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members; +Cc: kernelci, automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc


On 7/27/21 13:34, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 12:58 -03, "Greg KH" <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 04:54:46PM +0100, Guillaume Tucker wrote:
>>> Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
>>> having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
>>> one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
>>> While other things are arguably even more important, such as
>>> testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
>>> and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
>>> workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
>>> while.
>>>
>>> There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
>>> Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
>>> single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
>>> solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
>>> the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
>>> web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
>>> into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
>>> who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have.  As
>>> such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
>>> this gap.
>>>
>>> The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
>>> to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
>>> Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
>>> who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
>>> facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
>>> governing board.
>>>
>>> In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
>>> people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
>>> lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
>>> weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
>>> Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
>>> still need formal confirmation.
>>>
>>>
>>> Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
>>>
>>>    https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
>>>
>>> I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
>>> stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
>>>
>>>    https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
>>>
>>>
>>> This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
>>> of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
>>> on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
>>> expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
>>> this effort in any other way.
>> How do we "join" the working group?  I'm willing to help out from the
>> "user who will use this a lot and complain about things that do not
>> work well" point of view :)
> Congratulations! You are now part of the working group. :) For now, anyone that is interested can step up, and maybe in a few weeks we can formalize with those who wants to take on the journey together with us in this working group.
>
> Based on the replies to this thread I can put together an initial agenda and follow up with the potential times for a kick-off meeting.

Here's a poll with some proposed times for us to schedule the first 
meeting next week: https://doodle.com/poll/pbhpeu5cbxp49ghz

Please reply to it ASAP.

Regards,

Gustavo


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2022-09-05 12:14 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 9+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-07-27 15:54 KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard Guillaume Tucker
2021-07-27 15:58 ` [kernelci-members] " Greg KH
2021-07-27 16:34   ` Gustavo Padovan
     [not found] ` <16F4479F76A8C807.11895@groups.io>
     [not found]   ` <16F65ECD601264EC.15470@groups.io>
2022-07-18 14:17     ` Gustavo Padovan
     [not found]     ` <1706557437ACCB9C.25939@groups.io>
2022-08-29 15:04       ` Gustavo Padovan
     [not found]       ` <170FD91B51709B41.16609@groups.io>
2022-09-01 19:32         ` Gustavo Padovan
     [not found]         ` <1710D385D5C94519.1438@groups.io>
2022-09-05 11:04           ` Gustavo Padovan
2022-09-05 12:13             ` Nikolai Kondrashov
     [not found] <1695B2FF4ECA569A.21772@groups.io>
2021-10-05 13:20 ` Gustavo Padovan

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).