LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Known prob: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low?
@ 2008-01-19  1:17 Linda Walsh
  2008-01-21 12:27 ` Peter Zijlstra
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Linda Walsh @ 2008-01-19  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML

On my x86_64 machine, I got the following message
in log (kern = 2.6.23.14)

Jan 16 04:08:38 Astara kernel: BUG: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low!
Jan 16 04:08:38 Astara kernel: turning off the locking correctness 
validator.

Have no idea what caused it as I found the message on my console
somewhat after the fact.  The system had been up over 24 hours and
is still running.  System still seems 'fine' (been up 3 days now),
so you can treat this as a "data point".







^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Known prob: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low?
  2008-01-19  1:17 Known prob: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low? Linda Walsh
@ 2008-01-21 12:27 ` Peter Zijlstra
  2008-01-21 16:26   ` Linda Walsh
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Peter Zijlstra @ 2008-01-21 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linda Walsh; +Cc: LKML


On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 17:17 -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
> On my x86_64 machine, I got the following message
> in log (kern = 2.6.23.14)
> 
> Jan 16 04:08:38 Astara kernel: BUG: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low!
> Jan 16 04:08:38 Astara kernel: turning off the locking correctness 
> validator.
> 
> Have no idea what caused it as I found the message on my console
> somewhat after the fact.  The system had been up over 24 hours and
> is still running.  System still seems 'fine' (been up 3 days now),
> so you can treat this as a "data point".

Are you perhaps an XFS user?


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Known prob: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low?
  2008-01-21 12:27 ` Peter Zijlstra
@ 2008-01-21 16:26   ` Linda Walsh
  2008-01-21 17:13     ` Peter Zijlstra
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Linda Walsh @ 2008-01-21 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Zijlstra; +Cc: LKML, Linux-Xfs

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 17:17 -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
>   
>> On my x86_64 machine, I got the following message
>> in log (kern = 2.6.23.14)
>>
>> Jan 16 04:08:38 Astara kernel: BUG: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low!
>> Jan 16 04:08:38 Astara kernel: turning off the locking correctness 
>> validator.
>>
>> Have no idea what caused it as I found the message on my console
>> somewhat after the fact.  The system had been up over 24 hours and
>> is still running.  System still seems 'fine' (been up 3 days now),
>> so you can treat this as a "data point".
>>     
>
> Are you perhaps an XFS user?
>
>   
----
    Funny you should mention that...  yes.  However, there were no
other messages that seem to indicate that the message had anything
to do with XFS.  Nice shot in the dark.


 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Known prob: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low?
  2008-01-21 16:26   ` Linda Walsh
@ 2008-01-21 17:13     ` Peter Zijlstra
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Peter Zijlstra @ 2008-01-21 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linda Walsh; +Cc: LKML, Linux-Xfs, Ingo Molnar


On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 08:26 -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 17:17 -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
> >   
> >> On my x86_64 machine, I got the following message
> >> in log (kern = 2.6.23.14)
> >>
> >> Jan 16 04:08:38 Astara kernel: BUG: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low!
> >> Jan 16 04:08:38 Astara kernel: turning off the locking correctness 
> >> validator.
> >>
> >> Have no idea what caused it as I found the message on my console
> >> somewhat after the fact.  The system had been up over 24 hours and
> >> is still running.  System still seems 'fine' (been up 3 days now),
> >> so you can treat this as a "data point".
> >>     
> >
> > Are you perhaps an XFS user?
> >
> >   
> ----
>     Funny you should mention that...  yes.  However, there were no
> other messages that seem to indicate that the message had anything
> to do with XFS.  Nice shot in the dark.

:-), know issue, I guess I'll up the MAX_LOCK_DEPTH for the next
release. I looked at dynamically allocating that stuff, but that gets
awfully painful.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2008-01-21 17:14 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2008-01-19  1:17 Known prob: MAX_LOCK_DEPTH too low? Linda Walsh
2008-01-21 12:27 ` Peter Zijlstra
2008-01-21 16:26   ` Linda Walsh
2008-01-21 17:13     ` Peter Zijlstra

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).