LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot
@ 2008-02-23 17:55 Soeren Sonnenburg
  2008-02-23 19:00 ` Oliver Pinter
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Soeren Sonnenburg @ 2008-02-23 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

Hi,

trying out newest git, I see a hang with 
ACPI: SSDT 7feb9c10, 02ae (r1 APPLE CPU0Ist 3000 intl 20050309)
ACPI: SSDT 7feb9910, 02c3 (r1 APPLE CPU0Cst 3001 intl 20050309)
...
ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)
ACPI: SSDT 7feb9f10, 0087 (r1 APPLE CPU1Ist 3000 intl 20050309)
ACPI: SSDT 7feb8f10, 0085 (r1 APPLE CPU1Cst 3001 intl 20050309)
...
ACPI: ACPI0007:01 is registered as cooling_device1
ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports 8 throttling states)

as the last message...

Any ideas?
Soeren

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot
  2008-02-23 17:55 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot Soeren Sonnenburg
@ 2008-02-23 19:00 ` Oliver Pinter
  2008-02-24  6:15   ` Soeren Sonnenburg
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Oliver Pinter @ 2008-02-23 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soeren Sonnenburg; +Cc: Linux Kernel

the pci=nommconf kernel parameter helped it?

On 2/23/08, Soeren Sonnenburg <kernel@nn7.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> trying out newest git, I see a hang with
> ACPI: SSDT 7feb9c10, 02ae (r1 APPLE CPU0Ist 3000 intl 20050309)
> ACPI: SSDT 7feb9910, 02c3 (r1 APPLE CPU0Cst 3001 intl 20050309)
> ...
> ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)
> ACPI: SSDT 7feb9f10, 0087 (r1 APPLE CPU1Ist 3000 intl 20050309)
> ACPI: SSDT 7feb8f10, 0085 (r1 APPLE CPU1Cst 3001 intl 20050309)
> ...
> ACPI: ACPI0007:01 is registered as cooling_device1
> ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports 8 throttling states)
>
> as the last message...
>
> Any ideas?
> Soeren
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>


-- 
Thanks,
Oliver

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot
  2008-02-23 19:00 ` Oliver Pinter
@ 2008-02-24  6:15   ` Soeren Sonnenburg
  2008-02-24 11:18     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Soeren Sonnenburg @ 2008-02-24  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Pinter; +Cc: Linux Kernel

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 20:00 +0100, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> the pci=nommconf kernel parameter helped it?

yes indeed, this switch reliably helps to over come the hang at *this
stage* (I tried booting with booth the switch and w/o).

however with 50% chance I still see a hang directly after

cpuidle: using governor ladder

note that I've never seen these hangs on 2.6.24* ...

Soeren

> On 2/23/08, Soeren Sonnenburg <kernel@nn7.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > trying out newest git, I see a hang with
> > ACPI: SSDT 7feb9c10, 02ae (r1 APPLE CPU0Ist 3000 intl 20050309)
> > ACPI: SSDT 7feb9910, 02c3 (r1 APPLE CPU0Cst 3001 intl 20050309)
> > ...
> > ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)
> > ACPI: SSDT 7feb9f10, 0087 (r1 APPLE CPU1Ist 3000 intl 20050309)
> > ACPI: SSDT 7feb8f10, 0085 (r1 APPLE CPU1Cst 3001 intl 20050309)
> > ...
> > ACPI: ACPI0007:01 is registered as cooling_device1
> > ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports 8 throttling states)
> >
> > as the last message...
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Soeren
> > --
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> >
> 
> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot
  2008-02-24  6:15   ` Soeren Sonnenburg
@ 2008-02-24 11:18     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
  2008-02-24 12:27       ` Soeren Sonnenburg
  2008-02-26  2:12       ` Pallipadi, Venkatesh
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2008-02-24 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soeren Sonnenburg; +Cc: Oliver Pinter, Linux Kernel, Venki Pallipadi

On Sunday, 24 of February 2008, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 20:00 +0100, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> > the pci=nommconf kernel parameter helped it?
> 
> yes indeed, this switch reliably helps to over come the hang at *this
> stage* (I tried booting with booth the switch and w/o).
> 
> however with 50% chance I still see a hang directly after
> 
> cpuidle: using governor ladder

Do you have CONFIG_CPU_IDLE set?  If you have, please try to unset it and
retest.

Thanks,
Rafael

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot
  2008-02-24 11:18     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
@ 2008-02-24 12:27       ` Soeren Sonnenburg
  2008-02-26  2:12       ` Pallipadi, Venkatesh
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Soeren Sonnenburg @ 2008-02-24 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: Oliver Pinter, Linux Kernel, Venki Pallipadi

On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 12:18 +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 of February 2008, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 20:00 +0100, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> > > the pci=nommconf kernel parameter helped it?
> > 
> > yes indeed, this switch reliably helps to over come the hang at *this
> > stage* (I tried booting with booth the switch and w/o).
> > 
> > however with 50% chance I still see a hang directly after
> > 
> > cpuidle: using governor ladder
> 
> Do you have CONFIG_CPU_IDLE set?  If you have, please try to unset it and
> retest.

Yes I had. When disabling that option booting 10 times in a row worked
without problems.

Soeren

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* RE: 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot
  2008-02-24 11:18     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
  2008-02-24 12:27       ` Soeren Sonnenburg
@ 2008-02-26  2:12       ` Pallipadi, Venkatesh
  2008-02-26 21:44         ` Rafael J. Wysocki
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Pallipadi, Venkatesh @ 2008-02-26  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki, Soeren Sonnenburg; +Cc: Oliver Pinter, Linux Kernel


>-----Original Message-----
>From: Rafael J. Wysocki [mailto:rjw@sisk.pl] 
>Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:18 AM
>To: Soeren Sonnenburg
>Cc: Oliver Pinter; Linux Kernel; Pallipadi, Venkatesh
>Subject: Re: 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot
>
>On Sunday, 24 of February 2008, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 20:00 +0100, Oliver Pinter wrote:
>> > the pci=nommconf kernel parameter helped it?
>> 
>> yes indeed, this switch reliably helps to over come the hang at *this
>> stage* (I tried booting with booth the switch and w/o).
>> 
>> however with 50% chance I still see a hang directly after
>> 
>> cpuidle: using governor ladder
>
>Do you have CONFIG_CPU_IDLE set?  If you have, please try to 
>unset it and
>retest.
>

Rafael,

I am looking at the CPU_IDLE part of this regression. Just want to note
that there is another regression with needing pci=nommconf in current
git which was not required in .24. I am not sure whether you are already
tracking that as a different issue.

Thanks,
Venki

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot
  2008-02-26  2:12       ` Pallipadi, Venkatesh
@ 2008-02-26 21:44         ` Rafael J. Wysocki
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2008-02-26 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pallipadi, Venkatesh; +Cc: Soeren Sonnenburg, Oliver Pinter, Linux Kernel

On Tuesday, 26 of February 2008, Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:
> 
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: Rafael J. Wysocki [mailto:rjw@sisk.pl] 
> >Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:18 AM
> >To: Soeren Sonnenburg
> >Cc: Oliver Pinter; Linux Kernel; Pallipadi, Venkatesh
> >Subject: Re: 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot
> >
> >On Sunday, 24 of February 2008, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> >> On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 20:00 +0100, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> >> > the pci=nommconf kernel parameter helped it?
> >> 
> >> yes indeed, this switch reliably helps to over come the hang at *this
> >> stage* (I tried booting with booth the switch and w/o).
> >> 
> >> however with 50% chance I still see a hang directly after
> >> 
> >> cpuidle: using governor ladder
> >
> >Do you have CONFIG_CPU_IDLE set?  If you have, please try to 
> >unset it and
> >retest.
> >
> 
> Rafael,
> 
> I am looking at the CPU_IDLE part of this regression. Just want to note
> that there is another regression with needing pci=nommconf in current
> git which was not required in .24. I am not sure whether you are already
> tracking that as a different issue.

I've noticed the thread, but I haven't created a Bugzilla entry for it yet.

Thanks for the information anyway. :-)

Rafael

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2008-02-26 21:45 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2008-02-23 17:55 2.6.25-current-git hangs on boot Soeren Sonnenburg
2008-02-23 19:00 ` Oliver Pinter
2008-02-24  6:15   ` Soeren Sonnenburg
2008-02-24 11:18     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
2008-02-24 12:27       ` Soeren Sonnenburg
2008-02-26  2:12       ` Pallipadi, Venkatesh
2008-02-26 21:44         ` Rafael J. Wysocki

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).