LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
@ 2007-01-20 20:20 Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-20 20:45 ` Avuton Olrich
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-20 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-raid

Perhaps its time to back to a stable (2.6.17.13 kernel)?

Anyway, when I run a cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 on a dual raptor sw raid1 
partition, the OOM killer goes into effect and kills almost all my 
processes.

Completely 100% reproducible.

Does 2.6.19.2 have some of memory allocation bug as well?

System Events
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Jan 20 15:13:13 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430917] top invoked oom-killer: 
gfp_mask=0xd0, order=0, oomkilladj=0
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430929]  [<c013cce3>] 
out_of_memory+0x189/0x1b6
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430939]  [<c013e577>] 
__alloc_pages+0x27b/0x2db
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430949]  [<c013e619>] 
__get_free_pages+0x42/0x4d
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430955]  [<c018bc99>] 
proc_file_read+0x72/0x28e
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430962]  [<c027bec9>] 
_atomic_dec_and_lock+0x2d/0x54
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430968]  [<c016cb53>] 
mntput_no_expire+0x1c/0x7d
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430975]  [<c0158141>] 
vfs_read+0x9d/0x17b
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430983]  [<c0158644>] 
sys_read+0x4b/0x74
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430988]  [<c0103013>] 
syscall_call+0x7/0xb
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430994]  =======================
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430997] Mem-info:
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.430999] DMA per-cpu:
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 squid[2515]: Squid Parent: child process 2517 exited 
due to signal 9
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431003] CPU    0: Hot: hi:    0, btch:   
1 usd:   0   Cold: hi:    0, btch:   1 usd:   0
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431007] CPU    1: Hot: hi:    0, btch:   
1 usd:   0   Cold: hi:    0, btch:   1 usd:   0
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431010] Normal per-cpu:
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431013] CPU    0: Hot: hi:  186, btch:  
31 usd: 166   Cold: hi:   62, btch:  15 usd:  50
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431017] CPU    1: Hot: hi:  186, btch:  
31 usd:  30   Cold: hi:   62, btch:  15 usd:  60
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431021] HighMem per-cpu:
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431024] CPU    0: Hot: hi:  186, btch:  
31 usd:  13   Cold: hi:   62, btch:  15 usd:   3
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431028] CPU    1: Hot: hi:  186, btch:  
31 usd:  23   Cold: hi:   62, btch:  15 usd:  14
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431033] Active:8356 inactive:247241 
dirty:58126 writeback:146669 unstable:0 free:41510 slab:61581 mapped:5339 
pagetables:470
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431038] DMA free:3544kB min:68kB 
low:84kB high:100kB active:0kB inactive:0kB present:16256kB 
pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? yes
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431055] lowmem_reserve[]: 0 873 1991
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431064] Normal free:2788kB min:3744kB 
low:4680kB high:5616kB active:4kB inactive:30496kB present:894080kB 
pages_scanned:47944
all_unreclaimable? yes
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431068] lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 8945
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431077] HighMem free:159708kB min:512kB 
low:1708kB high:2908kB active:33420kB inactive:958468kB present:1145032kB 
pages_scanned:224
all_unreclaimable? no
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431080] lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431097] DMA: 0*4kB 1*8kB 1*16kB 0*32kB 
1*64kB 1*128kB 1*256kB 0*512kB 1*1024kB 1*2048kB 0*4096kB = 3544kB
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431114] Normal: 1*4kB 0*8kB 0*16kB 
3*32kB 0*64kB 1*128kB 0*256kB 1*512kB 0*1024kB 1*2048kB 0*4096kB = 2788kB
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431132] HighMem: 1*4kB 1*8kB 3997*16kB 
2194*32kB 353*64kB 17*128kB 3*256kB 0*512kB 0*1024kB 0*2048kB 0*4096kB = 
159708kB
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431150] Swap cache: add 2551, delete 
2533, find 11/16, race 0+0
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431153] Free swap  = 2190716kB
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431155] Total swap = 2200760kB
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.431157] Free swap:       2190716kB
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436274] 517888 pages of RAM
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436279] 288512 pages of HIGHMEM
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436281] 5662 reserved pages
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436283] 246964 pages shared
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436285] 18 pages swap cached
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436288] 58126 pages dirty
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436290] 146669 pages writeback
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436292] 5339 pages mapped
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436294] 61581 pages slab
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436296] 470 pages pagetables
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436391] Out of Memory: Kill process 
1848 (named) score 12591 and children.
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.436395] Out of memory: Killed process 
1848 (named).
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437143] bash invoked oom-killer: 
gfp_mask=0xd0, order=0, oomkilladj=0
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437151]  [<c013cce3>] 
out_of_memory+0x189/0x1b6
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437160]  [<c013e577>] 
__alloc_pages+0x27b/0x2db
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437166]  [<c0154855>] 
cache_alloc_refill+0x2e9/0x540
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437172]  [<c015456a>] 
kmem_cache_alloc+0x40/0x42
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437177]  [<c011231d>] 
pgd_alloc+0x18/0x1c
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437183]  [<c0118c27>] mm_init+0xbc/0xe9
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437188]  [<c015ce45>] 
do_execve+0x6c/0x1dc
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437193]  [<c010135b>] 
sys_execve+0x3c/0x97
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437198]  [<c0103013>] 
syscall_call+0x7/0xb
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437202]  [<c042007b>] 
schedule+0x34b/0x8cd
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437208]  =======================
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437211] Mem-info:
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437213] DMA per-cpu:
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437216] CPU    0: Hot: hi:    0, btch:   
1 usd:   0   Cold: hi:    0, btch:   1 usd:   0
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437220] CPU    1: Hot: hi:    0, btch:   
1 usd:   0   Cold: hi:    0, btch:   1 usd:   0
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437223] Normal per-cpu:
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437227] CPU    0: Hot: hi:  186, btch:  
31 usd: 177   Cold: hi:   62, btch:  15 usd:  50
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437237] CPU    1: Hot: hi:  186, btch:  
31 usd:  30   Cold: hi:   62, btch:  15 usd:  60
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437244] HighMem per-cpu:
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437249] CPU    0: Hot: hi:  186, btch:  
31 usd: 176   Cold: hi:   62, btch:  15 usd:   3
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437256] CPU    1: Hot: hi:  186, btch:  
31 usd:  22   Cold: hi:   62, btch:  15 usd:  14
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437264] Active:8072 inactive:245472 
dirty:58126 writeback:146669 unstable:0 free:43401 slab:61581 mapped:4967 
pagetables:470
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437272] DMA free:3544kB min:68kB 
low:84kB high:100kB active:0kB inactive:0kB present:16256kB 
pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? yes
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437275] lowmem_reserve[]: 0 873 1991
Jan 20 15:13:15 p34 kernel: [ 8204.437284] Normal free:2788kB min:3744kB 
low:4680kB high:5616kB active:4kB inactive:30496kB present:894080kB 
pages_scanned:47944


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-20 20:20 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible Justin Piszcz
@ 2007-01-20 20:45 ` Avuton Olrich
  2007-01-20 21:03   ` Justin Piszcz
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Avuton Olrich @ 2007-01-20 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-raid

On 1/20/07, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com> wrote:
> Perhaps its time to back to a stable (2.6.17.13 kernel)?
>
> Anyway, when I run a cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 on a dual raptor sw raid1
> partition, the OOM killer goes into effect and kills almost all my
> processes.
>
> Completely 100% reproducible.
>
> Does 2.6.19.2 have some of memory allocation bug as well?

I had been seeing something similar (also with 2.6.19.2), but it's not
outputting anything to dmesg, so I was waiting for something to happen
before I reported it. It's mostly the same thing, but I've only seen
it happen when copying something large (2+ GB) over NFS. Interactivity
completely goes away and lockups last 10-15 seconds a piece. Then
realized I turned the swap off, so I turned it on and didn't lockup
any longer.
-- 
avuton
--
 Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-20 20:45 ` Avuton Olrich
@ 2007-01-20 21:03   ` Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-20 21:24     ` Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-21 15:52     ` thunder7
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-20 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avuton Olrich; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-raid



On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, Avuton Olrich wrote:

> On 1/20/07, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps its time to back to a stable (2.6.17.13 kernel)?
> >
> > Anyway, when I run a cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 on a dual raptor sw raid1
> > partition, the OOM killer goes into effect and kills almost all my
> > processes.
> >
> > Completely 100% reproducible.
> >
> > Does 2.6.19.2 have some of memory allocation bug as well?
> 
> I had been seeing something similar (also with 2.6.19.2), but it's not
> outputting anything to dmesg, so I was waiting for something to happen
> before I reported it. It's mostly the same thing, but I've only seen
> it happen when copying something large (2+ GB) over NFS. Interactivity
> completely goes away and lockups last 10-15 seconds a piece. Then
> realized I turned the swap off, so I turned it on and didn't lockup
> any longer.
> -- 
> avuton
> --
> Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell.
> 
> 

My swap is on, 2GB ram and 2GB of swap on this machine.  I can't go back 
to 2.6.17.13 as it does not recognize the NICs in my machine correctly and 
the Alsa Intel HD Audio driver has bugs etc, I guess I am stuck with 
2.6.19.2 :(

Justin.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-20 21:03   ` Justin Piszcz
@ 2007-01-20 21:24     ` Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-21 15:52     ` thunder7
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-20 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avuton Olrich; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-raid


On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> 
> 
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, Avuton Olrich wrote:
> 
> > On 1/20/07, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com> wrote:
> > > Perhaps its time to back to a stable (2.6.17.13 kernel)?
> > >
> > > Anyway, when I run a cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 on a dual raptor sw raid1
> > > partition, the OOM killer goes into effect and kills almost all my
> > > processes.
> > >
> > > Completely 100% reproducible.
> > >
> > > Does 2.6.19.2 have some of memory allocation bug as well?
> > 
> > I had been seeing something similar (also with 2.6.19.2), but it's not
> > outputting anything to dmesg, so I was waiting for something to happen
> > before I reported it. It's mostly the same thing, but I've only seen
> > it happen when copying something large (2+ GB) over NFS. Interactivity
> > completely goes away and lockups last 10-15 seconds a piece. Then
> > realized I turned the swap off, so I turned it on and didn't lockup
> > any longer.
> > -- 
> > avuton
> > --
> > Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell.
> > 
> > 
> 
> My swap is on, 2GB ram and 2GB of swap on this machine.  I can't go back 
> to 2.6.17.13 as it does not recognize the NICs in my machine correctly and 
> the Alsa Intel HD Audio driver has bugs etc, I guess I am stuck with 
> 2.6.19.2 :(
> 
> Justin.
> 
> 

The weird part is nothing shows high memory usage in top or via ps, the 
kernel just freaks and kill -9's almost all of my processes.

Nasty VM bug?

Justin.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-20 21:03   ` Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-20 21:24     ` Justin Piszcz
@ 2007-01-21 15:52     ` thunder7
  2007-01-21 15:54       ` Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-21 16:48       ` Justin Piszcz
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: thunder7 @ 2007-01-21 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid

From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
Date: Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:03:42PM -0500
> 
> 
> My swap is on, 2GB ram and 2GB of swap on this machine.  I can't go back 
> to 2.6.17.13 as it does not recognize the NICs in my machine correctly and 
> the Alsa Intel HD Audio driver has bugs etc, I guess I am stuck with 
> 2.6.19.2 :(
> 
Well, if you can't go back, you could always test 2.6.20-rc5. That's why
it's out there :-) It can't be any worse!

Good luck,
Jurriaan
-- 
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really
quite busy.
	Hans Haas
Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 1.97
the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-21 15:52     ` thunder7
@ 2007-01-21 15:54       ` Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-26 17:49         ` Adrian Bunk
  2007-01-21 16:48       ` Justin Piszcz
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thunder7; +Cc: Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid



On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, thunder7@xs4all.nl wrote:

> From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
> Date: Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:03:42PM -0500
> > 
> > 
> > My swap is on, 2GB ram and 2GB of swap on this machine.  I can't go back 
> > to 2.6.17.13 as it does not recognize the NICs in my machine correctly and 
> > the Alsa Intel HD Audio driver has bugs etc, I guess I am stuck with 
> > 2.6.19.2 :(
> > 
> Well, if you can't go back, you could always test 2.6.20-rc5. That's why
> it's out there :-) It can't be any worse!
> 
> Good luck,
> Jurriaan
> -- 
> It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really
> quite busy.
> 	Hans Haas
> Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 1.97
> the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> 

It is worse-- NAT doesn't work and HDDTEMP doesn't work anymore either.


Justin.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-21 15:52     ` thunder7
  2007-01-21 15:54       ` Justin Piszcz
@ 2007-01-21 16:48       ` Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-21 17:02         ` thunder7
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thunder7; +Cc: Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid



On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, thunder7@xs4all.nl wrote:

> From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
> Date: Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:03:42PM -0500
> > 
> > 
> > My swap is on, 2GB ram and 2GB of swap on this machine.  I can't go back 
> > to 2.6.17.13 as it does not recognize the NICs in my machine correctly and 
> > the Alsa Intel HD Audio driver has bugs etc, I guess I am stuck with 
> > 2.6.19.2 :(
> > 
> Well, if you can't go back, you could always test 2.6.20-rc5. That's why
> it's out there :-) It can't be any worse!
> 
> Good luck,
> Jurriaan
> -- 
> It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really
> quite busy.
> 	Hans Haas
> Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 1.97
> the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org
> 

The HDD temp bug -- OK, nice.

What about all of the changes with NAT?  I see that it operates on 
level-3/network wise, I enabled that and backward compatiblity support as 
well, but when my iptables rules kick in, it says no such driver/etc for 
`nat'-- is there a new target for iptables now or did I miss a kernel 
option?

Justin.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-21 16:48       ` Justin Piszcz
@ 2007-01-21 17:02         ` thunder7
  2007-01-21 17:08           ` Justin Piszcz
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: thunder7 @ 2007-01-21 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: thunder7, Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid

From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 11:48:07AM -0500
> 
> What about all of the changes with NAT?  I see that it operates on 
> level-3/network wise, I enabled that and backward compatiblity support as 
> well, but when my iptables rules kick in, it says no such driver/etc for 
> `nat'-- is there a new target for iptables now or did I miss a kernel 
> option?
> 

Well, I'm typing this on my laptop, connected via my main server to the
internet, using SNAT, according to the firehol manpage. The main server
runs 2.6.20-rc5, and somewhere in my 2.6.20-rc5 .config, there is

CONFIG_NF_NAT=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_NETMAP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_SAME=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_SNMP_BASIC=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_PROTO_GRE=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_FTP=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_IRC=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_TFTP=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_AMANDA=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_PPTP=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_H323=m
CONFIG_NF_NAT_SIP=m

and my firewall's manpage says:

FIREHOL.CONF(5)       User Contributed Perl Documentation      FIREHOL.CONF(5)


       masquerade [reverse | interface] [optional rule parameters]

         Masquerading is a special from of SNAT (Source NAT) that changes the
         source of requests when they go out and replaces their original
         source when replies come in. This way a Linux box can become an
         internet router for a LAN of clients having unroutable IP addresses.
         Masquerading takes care to re-map IP addresses and ports as required.

         Masquerading is "expensive" compared to SNAT because it checks the IP
         address of the ougoing interface every time for every packet, and
         therefore it is suggested that if you connect to the internet with a
         static IP address, to prefer SNAT.

while my /etc/firehol/firehol.conf has a part in it like this:

#
# route access from the clients to the internet
#
router internet2network inface adsl outface switch
	masquerade reverse
	client all accept

All in all, NAT is working for me with 2.6.20-rc5. I do remember I had
to reselect all the netfilter modules in menuconfig.

Good luck,
Jurriaan
-- 
> What does ELF stand for (in respect to Linux?)
ELF is the first rock group that Ronnie James Dio performed with back in 
the early 1970's.  In constrast, a.out is a misspelling	 of the French word 
for the month of August.  What the two have in common is beyond me, but 
Linux users seem to use the two words together.
	seen on c.o.l.misc
Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 0.83
the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-21 17:02         ` thunder7
@ 2007-01-21 17:08           ` Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-21 17:29             ` 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible (multi-threaded USB no go) Justin Piszcz
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-21 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thunder7; +Cc: Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid



On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, thunder7@xs4all.nl wrote:

> From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
> Date: Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 11:48:07AM -0500
> > 
> > What about all of the changes with NAT?  I see that it operates on 
> > level-3/network wise, I enabled that and backward compatiblity support as 
> > well, but when my iptables rules kick in, it says no such driver/etc for 
> > `nat'-- is there a new target for iptables now or did I miss a kernel 
> > option?
> > 
> 
> Well, I'm typing this on my laptop, connected via my main server to the
> internet, using SNAT, according to the firehol manpage. The main server
> runs 2.6.20-rc5, and somewhere in my 2.6.20-rc5 .config, there is
> 
> CONFIG_NF_NAT=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
> CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=m
> CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=m
> CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_NETMAP=m
> CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_SAME=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_SNMP_BASIC=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_PROTO_GRE=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_FTP=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_IRC=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_TFTP=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_AMANDA=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_PPTP=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_H323=m
> CONFIG_NF_NAT_SIP=m
> 
> and my firewall's manpage says:
> 
> FIREHOL.CONF(5)       User Contributed Perl Documentation      FIREHOL.CONF(5)
> 
> 
>        masquerade [reverse | interface] [optional rule parameters]
> 
>          Masquerading is a special from of SNAT (Source NAT) that changes the
>          source of requests when they go out and replaces their original
>          source when replies come in. This way a Linux box can become an
>          internet router for a LAN of clients having unroutable IP addresses.
>          Masquerading takes care to re-map IP addresses and ports as required.
> 
>          Masquerading is "expensive" compared to SNAT because it checks the IP
>          address of the ougoing interface every time for every packet, and
>          therefore it is suggested that if you connect to the internet with a
>          static IP address, to prefer SNAT.
> 
> while my /etc/firehol/firehol.conf has a part in it like this:
> 
> #
> # route access from the clients to the internet
> #
> router internet2network inface adsl outface switch
> 	masquerade reverse
> 	client all accept
> 
> All in all, NAT is working for me with 2.6.20-rc5. I do remember I had
> to reselect all the netfilter modules in menuconfig.
> 
> Good luck,
> Jurriaan
> -- 
> > What does ELF stand for (in respect to Linux?)
> ELF is the first rock group that Ronnie James Dio performed with back in 
> the early 1970's.  In constrast, a.out is a misspelling	 of the French word 
> for the month of August.  What the two have in common is beyond me, but 
> Linux users seem to use the two words together.
> 	seen on c.o.l.misc
> Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 0.83
> the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> 

Thanks, I'll give it another go in a bit!

Justin.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible (multi-threaded USB no go)
  2007-01-21 17:08           ` Justin Piszcz
@ 2007-01-21 17:29             ` Justin Piszcz
  2007-01-22  6:33               ` Greg KH
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-21 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thunder7; +Cc: Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid



On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> 
> 
> > 
> > Good luck,
> > Jurriaan
> > -- 
> > > What does ELF stand for (in respect to Linux?)
> > ELF is the first rock group that Ronnie James Dio performed with back in 
> > the early 1970's.  In constrast, a.out is a misspelling	 of the French word 
> > for the month of August.  What the two have in common is beyond me, but 
> > Linux users seem to use the two words together.
> > 	seen on c.o.l.misc
> > Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 0.83
> > the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org
> > -
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
> > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > 
> 
> Thanks, I'll give it another go in a bit!
> 
> Justin.
> -

Running 2.6.20-rc5 now, the multi-threaded USB probing causes my UPS not 
to work, probably because udev has problems or something, it is also the 
only USB device I have plugged into the machine.

In other news, I will try that copy test again.

Justin.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible (multi-threaded USB no go)
  2007-01-21 17:29             ` 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible (multi-threaded USB no go) Justin Piszcz
@ 2007-01-22  6:33               ` Greg KH
  2007-01-22 10:56                 ` Justin Piszcz
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Greg KH @ 2007-01-22  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: thunder7, Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:29:51PM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> 
> 
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> 
> > 
> > 
> > > 
> > > Good luck,
> > > Jurriaan
> > > -- 
> > > > What does ELF stand for (in respect to Linux?)
> > > ELF is the first rock group that Ronnie James Dio performed with back in 
> > > the early 1970's.  In constrast, a.out is a misspelling	 of the French word 
> > > for the month of August.  What the two have in common is beyond me, but 
> > > Linux users seem to use the two words together.
> > > 	seen on c.o.l.misc
> > > Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 0.83
> > > the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org
> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
> > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> > > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > 
> > 
> > Thanks, I'll give it another go in a bit!
> > 
> > Justin.
> > -
> 
> Running 2.6.20-rc5 now, the multi-threaded USB probing causes my UPS not 
> to work, probably because udev has problems or something, it is also the 
> only USB device I have plugged into the machine.

multi-threaded USB is about to go away as it caused too many problems
for people, and they didn't read the Kconfig help entry about it :(

thanks,

greg k-h

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible (multi-threaded USB no go)
  2007-01-22  6:33               ` Greg KH
@ 2007-01-22 10:56                 ` Justin Piszcz
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-22 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: thunder7, Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid



On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Greg KH wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:29:51PM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> > 
> > 
> > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > > 
> > > > Good luck,
> > > > Jurriaan
> > > > -- 
> > > > > What does ELF stand for (in respect to Linux?)
> > > > ELF is the first rock group that Ronnie James Dio performed with back in 
> > > > the early 1970's.  In constrast, a.out is a misspelling	 of the French word 
> > > > for the month of August.  What the two have in common is beyond me, but 
> > > > Linux users seem to use the two words together.
> > > > 	seen on c.o.l.misc
> > > > Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 0.83
> > > > the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org
> > > > -
> > > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
> > > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> > > > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > > 
> > > 
> > > Thanks, I'll give it another go in a bit!
> > > 
> > > Justin.
> > > -
> > 
> > Running 2.6.20-rc5 now, the multi-threaded USB probing causes my UPS not 
> > to work, probably because udev has problems or something, it is also the 
> > only USB device I have plugged into the machine.
> 
> multi-threaded USB is about to go away as it caused too many problems
> for people, and they didn't read the Kconfig help entry about it :(
> 
> thanks,
> 
> greg k-h
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> 

Ah-- ok-- still experiencing the copy bug though.  When I copy an 18gb 
file to 18gbfile.2 on the same volume, havoc ensues.

Justin.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-21 15:54       ` Justin Piszcz
@ 2007-01-26 17:49         ` Adrian Bunk
  2007-01-26 17:50           ` Justin Piszcz
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2007-01-26 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: thunder7, Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 10:54:09AM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, thunder7@xs4all.nl wrote:
> 
> > From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
> > Date: Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:03:42PM -0500
> > > 
> > > 
> > > My swap is on, 2GB ram and 2GB of swap on this machine.  I can't go back 
> > > to 2.6.17.13 as it does not recognize the NICs in my machine correctly and 
> > > the Alsa Intel HD Audio driver has bugs etc, I guess I am stuck with 
> > > 2.6.19.2 :(
> > > 
> > Well, if you can't go back, you could always test 2.6.20-rc5. That's why
> > it's out there :-) It can't be any worse!
> > 
> > Good luck,
> > Jurriaan
> > -- 
> > It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really
> > quite busy.
> > 	Hans Haas
> > Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 1.97
> > the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org
> > -
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
> > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > 
> 
> It is worse-- NAT doesn't work and HDDTEMP doesn't work anymore either.


Do I understand it correctly from the further emails in this thread that 
the NAT problem was the known netfilter options mess when upgrading from 
2.6.19 to 2.6.20, and enabling some more netfilter options fixed it?


hddtemp has a known bug:

Subject    : `hddtemp' no longer works
References : http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/14/272
             http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7581
Submitter  : Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@sms.ed.ac.uk>
             Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mailhot@LaPoste.net>
Handled-By : Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com>
Status     : bug in hddtemp: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7581


> Justin.

cu
Adrian

-- 

       "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
        of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible
  2007-01-26 17:49         ` Adrian Bunk
@ 2007-01-26 17:50           ` Justin Piszcz
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-26 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: thunder7, Avuton Olrich, linux-kernel, linux-raid



On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 10:54:09AM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, thunder7@xs4all.nl wrote:
> > 
> > > From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
> > > Date: Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:03:42PM -0500
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > My swap is on, 2GB ram and 2GB of swap on this machine.  I can't go back 
> > > > to 2.6.17.13 as it does not recognize the NICs in my machine correctly and 
> > > > the Alsa Intel HD Audio driver has bugs etc, I guess I am stuck with 
> > > > 2.6.19.2 :(
> > > > 
> > > Well, if you can't go back, you could always test 2.6.20-rc5. That's why
> > > it's out there :-) It can't be any worse!
> > > 
> > > Good luck,
> > > Jurriaan
> > > -- 
> > > It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really
> > > quite busy.
> > > 	Hans Haas
> > > Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.20-rc5 2x2011 bogomips load 1.97
> > > the Jack Vance Integral Edition: http://www.integralarchive.org
> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
> > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> > > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > 
> > 
> > It is worse-- NAT doesn't work and HDDTEMP doesn't work anymore either.
> 
> 
> Do I understand it correctly from the further emails in this thread that 
> the NAT problem was the known netfilter options mess when upgrading from 
> 2.6.19 to 2.6.20, and enabling some more netfilter options fixed it?
> 
> 
> hddtemp has a known bug:
> 
> Subject    : `hddtemp' no longer works
> References : http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/14/272
>              http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7581
> Submitter  : Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@sms.ed.ac.uk>
>              Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mailhot@LaPoste.net>
> Handled-By : Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com>
> Status     : bug in hddtemp: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7581
> 
> 
> > Justin.
> 
> cu
> Adrian
> 
> -- 
> 
>        "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
>         of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
>        "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
>                                        Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed
> 

Yes, it was because the options changed positions/places, it is working 
now.

Justin.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2007-01-26 17:50 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 14+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2007-01-20 20:20 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible Justin Piszcz
2007-01-20 20:45 ` Avuton Olrich
2007-01-20 21:03   ` Justin Piszcz
2007-01-20 21:24     ` Justin Piszcz
2007-01-21 15:52     ` thunder7
2007-01-21 15:54       ` Justin Piszcz
2007-01-26 17:49         ` Adrian Bunk
2007-01-26 17:50           ` Justin Piszcz
2007-01-21 16:48       ` Justin Piszcz
2007-01-21 17:02         ` thunder7
2007-01-21 17:08           ` Justin Piszcz
2007-01-21 17:29             ` 2.6.19.2, cp 18gb_file 18gb_file.2 = OOM killer, 100% reproducible (multi-threaded USB no go) Justin Piszcz
2007-01-22  6:33               ` Greg KH
2007-01-22 10:56                 ` Justin Piszcz

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).